Tucson CL: Martin Recording Bass

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Tucson CL: Martin Recording Bass

Post by roweenie »

Fiberglass?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

I'd bet it's fiberglass. Don't like the looks of that leadpipe.....
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Paul Scott wrote:I'd bet it's fiberglass. Don't like the looks of that leadpipe.....
Yup, fiberglass. I saw this exact horn for sale some time ago, same exact picture too, mangled leadpipe and all. Seems strange that it's the same picture, but who knows.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

I'm local to the seller, if it's the same person that posted last time. I'll report back here on what I find
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

The seller responded to my inquiry via Craigslist email, so that is a change from last time. That said, I have absolutely no interest in having a 3 valve recording bass (even a rare/collectible/unique one) at this point, so I decided not to pursue it.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

Probably not the original bell. I played with a guy who had a nice three valve Martin. It was a Mammoth-sized horn, sounded great. But he had to strap the two cases (bell and body) to a hand cart to get it to practice.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I assume we're talking about full fiberglass, not just the bell. Everything but the valves and the leadpipe (what's left of it.) Common 4/4 size.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

YORK-aholic wrote:
vespa50sp wrote:Probably not the original bell.
Why do you believe that it isn't the original bell? It looks to be all one piece fiberglass, i.e. no connector ferrule between the flare and the 45 degree bend/elbow.
Agreed. See no reason why the bell wouldn't be original. It looks right by the over all shape/flair and similar wear and tear to the body. Plus, I can't see any reason someone would take the bell off an already rare fiberglass Martin and put it on something else.
Donn wrote:I assume we're talking about full fiberglass, not just the bell. Everything but the valves and the leadpipe (what's left of it.) Common 4/4 size.
Correct
WakinAZ wrote:The seller responded to my inquiry via Craigslist email, so that is a change from last time. That said, I have absolutely no interest in having a 3 valve recording bass (even a rare/collectible/unique one) at this point, so I decided not to pursue it.
Were you able to get more details as to the extent of the damage to the leadpipe or any other issues?
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

@SW - no I didn't ask, and the seller didn't volunteer anything other than being willing to show the horn.