Vintage Conn BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Vintage Conn BBb

Post by Donn »

Cool, I have the Eb version. I mean, looks like someone transplanted a BBb front valve section onto my tuba - bell, first bow at least apparently the same, even down to the dent in the same place, though it's a Pan American Eb Giant Bass. Valve caps look very similar too. Ca. 1926 if I remember right.

Mine is pretty light, under 20 lbs. Don't know how much weight a BBb valve section adds, but I bet this is a couple pounds lighter than my Holton 109, for example, closer to the weight of a smaller King 1240.
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Re: Vintage Conn BBb

Post by Mike C855B »

28J, like the one I have. It's nice that the gold wash inside the bell is intact; I lost it on mine in restoration. Interesting... it doesn't have the moisture trigger on the 3rd valve slide that my horn has.

Nice, big "round" sound that got me through some paying work when I was (a lot) younger. I don't play it much any more; biggest fault I find with it these days is forgetting to play ahead of the beat since my 191 is so much more responsive. Ah, how quickly we are spoiled.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)