What do you think of this cleaning technique?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

What do you think of this cleaning technique?

Post by Lew »

I've removed most of the lacquer and done a pretty good job of buffing off the corrosion. I used wet 80 and 120 grit sandpaper and a stiff wire brush attached to an electric drill,...
Not what I would have thought of as as good way to clean a horn!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 35835&rd=1
Mark

Post by Mark »

A Buy it Now price of $399? yikes.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Re: What do you think of this cleaning technique?

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Lew wrote:
I've removed most of the lacquer and done a pretty good job of buffing off the corrosion. I used wet 80 and 120 grit sandpaper and a stiff wire brush attached to an electric drill,...
Not what I would have thought of as as good way to clean a horn!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 35835&rd=1
Nor I -- 'bout gold-leafed my shorts when I read that! :shock: (and the picture backs it up :( )
Could have been worse, though ... might've used a belt sander ... :oops:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: What do you think of this cleaning technique?

Post by windshieldbug »

Lew wrote:Not what I would have thought of as as good way to clean a horn!
Hey- you don't know what it looked like before! Image
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

On some of these American-made horns, you'd be surprised what abuse they can take. Some 400-600 grit carborundum paper to smooth the 80-grit scratches out, following by a good buffing and it'sll actually look pretty good. Not worth the price the guy's asking, though!
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: What's a reasonable price?

Post by Chuck(G) »

Bigbells wrote:I'm Ebay seller trombones4ever who is being much-maligned for my use of heavy-grit sandpaper and a stiff wire circular brush to clean up the classic Olds Studio baritone horn...
At the expense of drawing fire, I'll offer a response.

A professional repairman would have removed the pistons and springs and screws--chemically stripped any lacquer and cleaned the instrument iby placing it in an acid cleaning bath, which would have removed the bulk of the corrosion and any deposits from the inside of the horn. S/he would then have buffed it on a buffing maching using tripoli (if necessary), followed by rouge for a color buff. After cleaning to remove any traces of grease and wax, a coat of epoxy lacquer would have been baked on. The result would probably have looked very nice indeed and be ready for another 20-30 years of use.

I'm not so sure that the inner surface of the bell is nickel plate, although it could certainly be. Most likely, it's silverplate.

Even so treated, what would a 3-valve marching baritone go for? That depends on a lot of factors; not the least of which is how tight the valves are. Refurbishing valves (plating and machining and lapping, fitting with new guides, felts and corks) is not an inexpensive proposition.

A 3-valve Olds Studio model in prime condition might go for as much as your "Buy it now" price, but that's a big "might". As-is, I would estimate that your instrument would sell for about $75-150 on eBay on a good day.

Guys, if I'm off on my guesstimate, please chime in.