King Bell-Front Rotary that needs some work

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: King Bell-Front Rotary that needs some work

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Dan Schultz wrote:I've owned (and sold) several of those .750" bore rotary Kings. Not bad players. The fact that this one appears to have complete linkage (less a string) is a plus. The only problem I've notice with them is a pretty flat 4th valve circuit... not difficult to fix by eliminating the 'curly-cue". Don't go looking for a factory upright bell for one. I've assembled bells for them but the bell throat is huge and the tenon can only come from a giant sousa or has to be fabricated from strip stock.
Maybe I'm stating the obvious here: It's pretty typical of instruments from that era that the 4th valve tubing was pretty flat, because at that time it was not intended to replace the 1&3 combination. It was meant only to be used to extend the low range using the 4th valve plus the octave higher fingerings for the low notes much as the 4-valve compensating system does. Of course it isn't as precise, but in the hands of a good player it offered pretty good results.
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

Got a chance to look at this. All of the slides move, and you hear a pop on all of the valves after pulling. Obviously needs new bumpers and strings. Good shape for its age and being in a storage unit for 7 years. Played a scale operating the first valve with my left hand. Glad I got a chance to look at it.
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

I hope whoever bought this gem, and I think at a reasonable price for its rarity and just plain curb appeal, will give us a post with the before and after bringing the back to full operation. Best to you and your new baby!
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass