Collection of Kanstul unfinished horns and prototypes for sa

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Collection of Kanstul unfinished horns and prototypes for sa

Post by The Big Ben »

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kanstul1332/m. ... pg=&_from=" target="_blank

There are a couple of pages of unfinished and finished F Tuba prototypes for sale as well as some other prototype instruments plus some machine tools. It appears that they are being sold by Kanstul themselves.

Thought some of you home builders might be interested in looking them over.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kanstul1332/m. ... pg=&_from=" target="_blank
Last edited by The Big Ben on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Collection of Kanstul unfinished horns and prototypes fo

Post by bort »

Also some tooling/machinery for sale.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Tempting indeed, but I'm concerned about the lack of pictures and vague descriptions. Contacted Kanstul for more information via both phone and email but got no response.

I hope they haven't fallen on hard times there. I'd hate to see them go under.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

If anything, I'd guess they would get out of the tuba business... they don't make many, so might not be worth the cost? They sell much more of the other stuff.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

YORK-aholic wrote:
SousaWarrior9 wrote:
I hope they haven't fallen on hard times there. I'd hate to see them go under.

Yep, that was my thought too. However, having been there, the relatively small amount they have on ebay isn't going to make much of a $ difference in their financial picture. I would imagine they are just deciding there isn't much use in leaving this stuff around to collect dust. I hope that's the case.
Yeah, I hope they're just making space. The sale of the machinery and the fact that they had the big floor model sell off earlier is what worried me. Hope all is well for them.

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Just saying... California can't be the easiest state to operate a business...
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:
YORK-aholic wrote:
SousaWarrior9 wrote:
Yeah, I hope they're just making space. The sale of the machinery and the fact that they had the big floor model sell off earlier is what worried me. Hope all is well for them.
That's real garden variety machinery they are selling. An up to date CNC mill could be in the 10s of thousands of dollars.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bort wrote:Just saying... California can't be the easiest state to operate a business...

It's the fifth largest economy in the world. Somebody's doing business.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/05/californi ... d-kingdom/" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The Big Ben wrote:
bort wrote:Just saying... California can't be the easiest state to operate a business...

It's the fifth largest economy in the world. Somebody's doing business.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/05/californi ... d-kingdom/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Blah blah blah :)
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

Having done some of the early prototyping with Kanstul many years ago, I can tell you that they were trying to get into the tuba business without doing the most important part of tuba design in the right manner: the valve block. The instruments that they have designed have a lot of great features, and they've done a great job partnering with some really great people: Lee Stofer, Mike Roylance (to a lesser degree), Tom Treece, Bob Carpenter, and many others. However, they did all of this using a valve block that was designed for a Marching Tuba.

To the average person, this valve block wouldn't seem like a big deal, as it's not something that you'd think about. However, every front-action Kanstul I've ever played has felt very off-balanced, assymetrical in terms of weight, and uncomfortable for my hands. This is due to the fact that all of the ports in and out of the valveset are on the same side of the instrument, creating an issue that they were unfortunately not able to overcome.

Tooling up to make a valveset isn't cheap, but IMO, the only way for a company to be competitive in the tuba market is to make a valveset that allows for players to feel comfortable playing the tuba. In my experiences, that was never the case with these tubas. I know they have made some great trombones and other brass instruments, and I'm sure they will continue to do so no matter what anyone does to copy them. People have been copying Bach Strad trumpets, Buffet clarinets, and every other iconic brand of instruments for years, yet they cannot master the art of making the copies be as good as the original. I'm sure Kanstul will stay where it is in the marketplace as well.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

It seems the horns have been marked as sold before the ended auction time. Frustrating...i would've at least like a reply to my inquiry.

ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

the elephant wrote:Andy, I don’t own a Kanstul because of that piston set. Their tubas would be greatly improved if they would rectify this. The three models I have played all felt a bit too cattywampus for me to drop any cash on them. There were other issues, too, but I just didn’t enjoy holding them. At all.
I know many a player have said the same thing, including one who was supposed to debut a model at a conference many years ago. It’s a shame, there are a lot of good qualities and they could be great tubas.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

ASTuba wrote: To the average person, this valve block wouldn't seem like a big deal, as it's not something that you'd think about. However, every front-action Kanstul I've ever played has felt very off-balanced, assymetrical in terms of weight, and uncomfortable for my hands. This is due to the fact that all of the ports in and out of the valveset are on the same side of the instrument, creating an issue that they were unfortunately not able to overcome.
I bought one of the prototypes, and I think on mine they have tried to address the off-balanced feel. On the prototype that I bought, they have moved the angle of the valves. The angle of the valves of all their production tubas force you to hold the tuba upright which is uncomfortable because the tuba wants to naturally lean to the left, due to the off balanced issue. They created an "S" shaped leadpipe on my tuba that allowed them to position the valve block a lot better, and the tuba then falls into place. I find it to be extremely comfortable, but mine doesn't have a bell yet. Once I get a bell for it, that may change.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... _I3FnNqICy" target="_blank