120 Year old Eefer?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

120 Year old Eefer?

Post by Chuck(G) »

http://cgi.ebay.com/120-years-old-Eb-Tu ... dZViewItem

I don't think so--if it didn't say (Made in France) on the very plain bell, I'dve sworn that this was one of the stencil B&F imports from the early 1900's.
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

I can see what they're saying about the copper etching, since it is unusual and does look nice. From the looks of the valves and the shape of the instrument itself, it's actually a bit more modern looking to me that some of the horns I've seen from the 1920's.

I'm just making a wild guess here, but it possible that it could have been made even more recently, say maybe the 1950's?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I believe that after one of the "big" wars (WWI or WW2) there was a requirement that anything imported had to have country of origin... as in "Made in... ", not just "Paris", so no, it ain't likely to be 120...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Daryl Fletcher wrote:I can see what they're saying about the copper etching, since it is unusual and does look nice. From the looks of the valves and the shape of the instrument itself, it's actually a bit more modern looking to me that some of the horns I've seen from the 1920's.

I'm just making a wild guess here, but it possible that it could have been made even more recently, say maybe the 1950's?
I don't know about that, but consider the old Tourville tubas that were marketed by Sears during the 00-20's. Almost identical copper-looking bottom bow guard and carriage rings and leadpipe brace, with very plain "Tourville et Cie. Paris" on the bell--no decorative engraving. Made by B&F, mostly.

I've wondered if the decorative bits were produced by a third party and simply purchased as commodity items by other manufacturers. Old Distins also have the same sort of decorative bits, but also used decorative ferrules and had elaborate engraved bells.
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

Chuck(G) wrote: I've wondered if the decorative bits were produced by a third party and simply purchased as commodity items by other manufacturers. Old Distins also have the same sort of decorative bits, but also used decorative ferrules and had elaborate engraved bells.
I agree. It seems odd to me that a horn would have so much decoration on it, while the brand name etched on the bell is written so plainly. It doesn't make make a whole lot of sense.