Interesting Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Interesting

Postby Casca Grossa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Mack-a-clone 186 Chairman Mao
Blokepiece Imperial
Lignatone Eb Sigmund Freud
Amati Eb Klement Gottwald
Blokepiece Solo
Mack Brass Bass Bone Sun Tzu
Douglas Yeo Replica Mouthpiece
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Interesting

Postby toobagrowl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:02 pm

^ Yeah, I saw that one last night browsing thru eBay. Looks like an old attempt at a 'Franken F', using (I think) a Mirafone rotor valveset :!:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Tubajug » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 pm

What's the purpose of the second paddle in the left hand?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba in progress
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Used to own, but still a fun thread: Lyon & Healy Eb

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 pm

To me it looks like you can operate 4th with the pinky, and 5th with the upper LH paddle. The lower LH paddle looks to rig 4th and 5th as a dependent setup, meaning that lower paddle moves both valves as one. Not sure, but I have made things like this on request for old school bass trombonists for dependent double valve horns that had lost their levers over the years. I have made one like that for a tuba back in the late 1990s. It looks remarkably similar. One lever operates 5th and one 4th, with a cam that locks into the 5th lever arm, so LH can be 5 or 45. Both are never pressed. It is one or the other.

Or so it would seem to my eyes.

Note that the 4th looks like a regular .770" 186 rotor and the others look to be off the 183 Eb. I do not think the 180 F valves are big enough to mate up with that 4th. Also, it could be an optical illusion, and the 4th could be a 190-sized rotor while the others are the more generic .770" valves. I do not know the size of the 190 rotors, but they are larger, in the eight hundred thousandths range.

Again — to my eyes — that is a horn that has been badly chopped or hacked into F, so much so that none of the dogleg area fits together without massive gaps, and there is no workable MTS at all. I am guessing these are the larger valves mentioned above and that this is a fairly good sized horn, like a PT-10, but that was either in Eb and chopped really poorly, or in CC that had a P4 of tubing hacked out.

I would buy it for the parts, but I would not touch it as a project unless I undid everything and started over, possibly with a different end goal. That horn, as it is, looks like junk to me. But the valves and the slide tubing and such might be in great shape. Bell and outer branches look good. I hope that tuba played well enough to merit all that surgery. More than likely, though, it was a project for an apprentice at the shop and he either quit or he figured out this project would not work in the end and moved on to something more viable.

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads