Ditson Eb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Ditson Eb

Post by hup_d_dup »

I was curious about the name Ditson. After a search I found the names Distin, Disston and Diston (all related to tubas).

Are these different outfits, or is this a really difficult name to spell correctly?

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Yes... Not so much difficult to spell, but easy to confuse.

Oliver Ditson was a Boston maker back in the day. I should know more about him and even have opinions, but not yet.

Henry Distin started out in London, sold out to Boosey & Co, hit hard times, moved back to the states, worked for Pepper, and started his own shop again in Philly, then moved out to Williamsport, PA. When he passed on, the company changed its name to Keefer, Brau Keefer being one of the folk who kept it going. I do have strong affinity for Distin/Boosey&Co./Keefer instruments that i have been fortunated enough to come across.

Not sure about Disston or Diston, and too lazy to look stuff up, but i wouldn't be surprised if the are creative spellings of one of the above.

I appreciate creative spelling so long as no one gets hurt...
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Starin' at this here picture...

Might the tuba what got made into sink whose picture made the rounds a couple months ago be a Ditson?

Too lazy to dig up the original posting and compare, but this resembles an Eb version of the points i remember.
Thanks for playing!