snicker...OK, LAUGH !!!

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

GL
Last edited by CJ Krause on Sat May 08, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My HHR Forum
http://www.ChevyHHRFamily.net" target="_blank" target="_blank
My Car site
http://cjsmodsandmore.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

What I also like is that it took two of them to get there. The second highest bidder was the real winner. :roll:
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Is there any way that thing could be made playable? After using it for a planter I have to imagine that a lot of the metal is pretty much shot, as evidenced by what appears to be a large crack along the back of the bell. A 4 valve York BAT like this could be worth this much, but only if it was playable. At least it looks like all of the pieces are there.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

GL
Last edited by CJ Krause on Sat May 08, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My HHR Forum
http://www.ChevyHHRFamily.net" target="_blank" target="_blank
My Car site
http://cjsmodsandmore.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bbtubaman wrote:Here is an email from the guy that bought it.
I'm a repair guy and know EXACTLY what that horn is worth. I don't care if it was used as a catbox. I can't find anyone that has ever seen one of those before. It is going to need about $1,000.00 in repairs and will sell for about $6,000.00. Look at the plating - there is a tear in the bell which can be repaired. Remember that this is a quality product - not some Chinese piece of ****. Look for it back on Ebay in about a year.
He honestly thinks he can get $6000 for it with $1000 in repairs and paying $2250 for it. He thinks it is a one of a kind worth a fortune York.

Personally I think the guy is unrealistic and expecially for a repairman.

to me if you are going to do this u buy low as u can and then do the repairs and try to make a reasonable dollar. to me he bought way to high.

The other bidder may have been a friend of the guy selling it as well and just trying to get the bid up for him.

If anyone wants his email i have it.
Who cares? It's his money! I wouldn't have paid that for it but on the other hand, I've done some pretty stupid stuff, too.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

bbtubaman wrote: ... The other bidder may have been a friend of the guy selling it as well and just trying to get the bid up for him.

If anyone wants his email i have it.
The second bidder is a collector to whom I have sold a number of things. I believe that he was just looking to buy something that was particularly unique and went a little too far in his bidding. They both must have wanted it pretty badly because the last 7 bids were placed in the last minute or so.

I would be concerned about the condition of the metal. I think that the person who emailed you about it is making a pretty big assumption that the metal will be in any shape to repair. I also think that once this is repaired, if it can be, that the absolute most it would sell for would be around $3000, not 6.
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

Hmmm,
I spoke to the winning bidder, he was willing to pay for it because he wanted it and the last time he checked, York was still out of business and not making them. The Craftsman that built the tuba are long gone with no sighn of returning. In other words you want one, you have to pay for what is available. He was willing to bid like he meant it. It seems that there are a few folks out there who have offered to take the horn off the winners hands, so there is probably a solid market for the horn after all.
I am informed that the bell had a flower pot shoved into it and that is how the split took place, not a surprise considering the way York brass tends to behave on the large bows. A skilled Tech can make the repair invisable. It was not filled with dirt. If it was in the outdoors that is no major issue considering the type of soil in that part of the country. I personally feel the price paid is not out of this world but is at the top end for what type of instrument it is. If properly restored it could quite possibly sell for the price mentioned. Those of us who have the skill to perform the repairs this instrument will probably need would say in its current state that its value topped out at $2k but the winning bidder should be pleased to have such an interesting tuba, in spite of what some may think. Unlike most of the skeptics, I am fortunate to be in a position to perform such major work on tubas as I have the facillity and the skills to do the job. If I had the time and money, I would have jumped into the bidding myself. :wink: Picture what the instrument would look like in a satin silver finish with bright sliver accents all over, very nice indeed. I wish the high bidder the best of luck and look forward to seeing the tuba when it is restored.

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Snicker

Post by TubaRay »

I've never known two grown men to have a "catfight" before. I didn't know this was possible.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: eBay

Post by Rick Denney »

carolyn catton wrote:Me neither. As demonstrated, it seems to be, though.... :?
No. With guys, it's a pissing match. And the reason we don't complain is that the match is between two masters of the art, and the rest of us find it entertaining.

Rick "far more disturbed by the disclosing of a private email" Denney
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Well said Harold

Post by Bandmaster »

Well said Harold... different people have different reasons for wanting different horns. If it will make you happy... go for it!

I was shopping around for a "big bore" horn last December and January and was hoping to find a York or a Holton. Sure enough, a Holton 345 came up for sale on Ebay in January. I checked for comments about that Ebay listing here on the Tubanet and the comments doubted the quality of the horn. The seller was very open about the multiple patches on the bell. I discussed it with several repair technicians and the word was that the bell was repairable. So I bought the horn. As it turns out, I was the only bidder. Well, I got the horn... and so far I love it! Big, fat tone, and surprizingly well in tune. I enjoy this horn more than any other that I have played. I will really miss it for the time it will up with Dan Oberloh being restored later this summer.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon