186 C mouthpiece Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

186 C mouthpiece

Postby bloke » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 pm

Lately, I've been monkeying around with a very old 186 C tuba that I own, and have been going back-and-forth between keeping/flipping it...particularly since my only other not-huge C tuba will soon be packed and headed off to its new owner.

If you're as old as I am, you'll remember that the 186 tubas, decades ago, were shipped with Miraphone size C4 (now stamped "TU23") mouthpieces. Perhaps (??) those were a good choice for a general ~style~ of mouthpiece, but (possibly?) just a bit on the "bright" side, sonically, when paired with a 186...thus the past reputation for the 186 tubas (due to people playing them with that supplied mouthpiece) offering a "bright" sound.

If you own a 186...and own a Sellmansberger "Solo" cup set-up...and additionally own a "Profundo" (1/8" extra depth) rim - or cup extender ring...give that combo a trial with your 186, and just see what you think. :idea:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: 186 C mouthpiece

Postby Stryk » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 am

Keep it. The older ones can't be beat. So, what does the Solo do for the 186 that makes it a better choice than the Symphony?
Terry Stryker
Alexander 163 BBb
Amati Kraslice 481 C
Mirafone 184 C
Mirafone186 C
Mirafone186 BBb
Lyon & Healy 1904 C
Kane Stealth C
Other non-descript tuba fodder
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby bort » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am

What is the not-huge CC that you just sold?

I can't advise you whether to keep it sell. But it does seem to fall in-between the size of the Thor and Symphonie.
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 am

Stryk wrote:Keep it. The older ones can't be beat. So, what does the Solo do for the 186 that makes it a better choice than the Symphony?

For folks (such as you) who also own a couple of other larger-than-186 tubas, it pulls more clarity out of a 186 - but without the uber-"brightness" of the (decades ago) factory-supplied C4. Sellmansberger "Solo" + 1/8-inch of extra cup depth: similar type of sound to C4, without the tendency of a harsh-ish sonority at higher volume levels.

...and (sorry for typing in non sequitur remarks, but) the post isn't about whether-or-not I'll eventually sell the tuba. :oops: It's about
If you have these components laying around - and own a 186 - try out this combo, and see what you think.
bloke

Postby iiipopes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:27 pm

When I was in grad school, I played tuba one year in the university band, including football field marching (an NCAA I university). I was issued a 186 with the C4. The tone was perfect to support that ensemble. After a few weeks, hearing me both on the field and in concert, the department chair, not knowing I was already in grad school, asked me if I wanted a scholarship to change my major to tuba performance, as he was impressed with my playing and tone, especially after showing up the entire souzy section on a marching band selection that nobody else, even the music majors, could play and march at the same time. Already in grad school, I had to respectfully decline.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads