Martin 4 valve Ebay. Upright and recording bells.

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Martin 4 valve Ebay. Upright and recording bells.

Post by edsel585960 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Martin-4- ... SwBTld2IAH" target="_blank Too bad its 1500 miles away or I'd throw in a bid. :(
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Martin 4 valve Ebay. Upright and recording bells.

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

It's close enough to me. This is a dream horn for me. Fingers crossed!
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

May the odds be in your favor!
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Will Jones wrote:May the odds be in your favor!
I'm legitimately heartbroken. Thought I had it and got sniped! I'd say better luck next time, but I doubt I'm ever going to see a horn like that again that is affordable. UGH!!! Whelp,Time to sulk for the rest of the evening.
Congrats to the lucky SOB who got this thing. Enjoy.

groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:
I'm legitimately heartbroken. Thought I had it and got sniped! I'd say better luck next time, but I doubt I'm ever going to see a horn like that again that is affordable. UGH!!! Whelp,Time to sulk for the rest of the evening.
The market must be bad for it to go that low.. :!:
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

Interesting .... so you think $3600+ was low. The bidding started at $950 so I wonder what the seller thought was worth? Been a while since I have sold using ebay but I assume that you still pay for a higher starting bid. If you know something will sell for a good price start at $1 and let it go.

I imagine the seller is pretty happy with the price if he paid extra to make sure that he got at least $950.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:
No the winner wasn't a sniper, he had bid like 5 minutes earlier.
He was also a serial bidder making half the bids in the auction.
That indicates to me he had no idea what the price should be and was desperately flailing.
I was the control bidder. If I took him too rich and he chickens out, it goes to me.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

lost wrote:I think it went for what a 4 valve 6/4 usually goes for. Not that cheap and around what I predicted. I lost out too but knew when to stop when it didnt become a deal.
Most of the recent past Holton 345's (at least) have gone for well above the $4,000 mark. Rumor has it one in Southern California that was 99% original lacquer closet find went privately to a community band player for plus or minus $4,500.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

TheGoyWonder wrote:No the winner wasn't a sniper, he had bid like 5 minutes earlier.
He was also a serial bidder making half the bids in the auction.
That indicates to me he had no idea what the price should be and was desperately flailing.
I see only three bids, and I'd give him the first one free - I don't do this, but I've heard some regular customers will throw a random bid in early just to subscribe. No one really knows what the price should be, that's kind of a fictitious number; he could have had for example multiple options on the 27th and on the 29th it kind of narrowed down to this one, making the "should be" price higher for him.

Whatever. I'm just pleased to see no sign of those shill bidder types that bid items up in small increments every five minutes, and then fade, so this time it looks like a fairly simple case of an auction working out. It does not however give me any ideas of bidding early on an auction - if it's something I want, I'm "sniping", because in any case there's that element of bidders not really sure what they're willing to pay. If you bid high before the end, you're just asking them to think about bidding more, and like as not they will.
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

A 7-day ebay auction is 6 days 23 hrs 59 mins and 50 secs of advertising. The auction occurs during those final 5-10 secs.

— Joe
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

proam wrote:A 7-day ebay auction is 6 days 23 hrs 59 mins and 50 secs of advertising. The auction occurs during those final 5-10 secs.

— Joe
Yes, perhaps "sniped" was not the correct term. Rather, I was outbid during the final 5-10 seconds. I was also surprised there was less attention on this one, but maybe it was the local pickup caveat that lessened the attention.
Regardless, whoever won got a good deal in my opinion, considering it was front action, 4 valves, both bells including the original upright bell, bits, and gig bags.