186 BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Re: 186 BBb

Post by anotherjtm2 »

Old enough to have S-links and a smaller bell, but new enough to not have the funny M shaped 4th valve tuning slide? Or am I putting too much meaning in that weird tuning slide?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

The 4th valve wrap is too short on most of the Miraphone 186 tubas and there is not enough room to add a longer 4th slide. I'm built several 'M-shaped' slides to give extra length to the slide. It's pretty simple to do if you have two more crooks and some inner tubing. I'll dig around and see if I can find an image.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

Maybe is was a custom slide because somebody thought it was too short. It's a little awkward. The serial suggests the tuba is from 1965, and the recording bell says Mirafone, so I assume it was intended for the US market.

John Morris
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Mirafone to University of Texas with 'W' 4th Valve Crook - small.jpg
I may have overhauled the tuba in question and sold it to The University of Texas in 2014. If it's the one... it left here with a Chinese bell and probably would have an eight-digit date code, the original serial number, and my initials (DWS) stamped into the paddle bar.

Edit: Not the same horn. I see the one in the Ebay listing has a bell garland. Anyway... I KNOW that there are several of these oddballs around. And... I would not have gone to the effort to make the 4th slide longer if it wasn't absolutely necessary. Lots of folks don't even know what the 4th valve is used for!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

the elephant wrote:
Dan Schultz wrote:The 4th valve wrap is too short on most of the Miraphone 186 tubas and there is not enough room to add a longer 4th slide. I'm built several 'M-shaped' slides to give extra length to the slide. It's pretty simple to do if you have two more crooks and some inner tubing. I'll dig around and see if I can find an image.
I know about that. He implied that the factory made these and that you could date the era of production based on that. I don't know whether he meant to do that, but that is what he typed.
Yes, I did mean to imply that you could date era of production, since I didn't know that they were never produced that way. Thanks, Dan, for the explanation. Seems like mine was corrected long before it ever got to me, and I'm happy with the alteration.

Do C 186s have long enough 4th valve circuits?
John Morris