What does one suppose...

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

What does one suppose...

Post by windshieldbug »

the intervals are for these valves? I get that the 3rd finger valve is 1 1/2 in the key of F, but since this is NOT a double nor a compensating horn, what to you suppose gives? The others look a little short... maybe finger 1 or thumb is an F half step... or maybe it's a 4 valve Bb horn with non-standard patterns...

Rare and Brass French horn

Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Interesting ...

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Assuming, for the moment, that 1, 2, and 3 are the usual intervals, the thumb valve looks like a 3/4-step valve. 3 does look rather long ... could be the bend, or it might be a double-whole-step. :?:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Looks like a Bb horn to me, with the thumb being a stop or mute compensating valve.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Looks like a rather typical setup: 4 valve Bb horn, where the 4th valve is a stop valve. Bb horns often have a stop valve because the usual stopping technique gives a pitch that is too sharp to use. (Chuck is right.)
Just for the record, this is a modern, crap-ola Chinese horn. No touchie.
MA
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

MaryAnn wrote:Looks like a rather typical setup: 4 valve Bb horn, where the 4th valve is a stop valve. Bb horns often have a stop valve because the usual stopping technique gives a pitch that is too sharp to use. (Chuck is right.)
Just for the record, this is a modern, crap-ola Chinese horn. No touchie.
MA
I don't know if he's still there, but there was a fellow on eBay who was buing the cheapie Chinese doubles, tearing them down, then reassembling them carefully. He claimed that he could offer a very decent double horn for about $750.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Oh, that was Kendall Betts, recently retired 1st horn of Minnesota orchestra. Yes, he said that, and no, I would not buy one. He said all they needed was to be taken apart and put back together correctly, deburred, etc. The problem is...there is no factory rep or salesman to go back to if you buy one of these, medicate it and do surgery on it, and it dies anyway.
MA
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Horns can be very cool, indeed.

As I'm writing this, NDR-Kultur is playing the Britten Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Orchestra from a 1985 performance. Gedda's doing the vocals and Radovan Vlatkovic is on horn--talk about an exposed solo! Absolutely breathtaking... :)