For Sale! Double "Bell"...............Cornet?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Randy Beschorner
bugler
bugler

For Sale! Double "Bell"...............Cornet?

Post by Randy Beschorner »

I don't know if there is a hot market for this, but price is low enough. Still it looks mighty strange.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-1900s-Bb- ... dZViewItem
Randy Beschorner

"Sin boldy and trust in God"
-Martin Luther
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

"NOTE - However Professional quality musical instrument seekers please do not bid for these instruments as they will clearly not be satisfactory for you - we are targeted to the students and intermediatory level player who is looking for value and appreciates the product in terms of price paid."
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: For Sale! Double "Bell"...............Cornet?

Post by Chuck(G) »

Randy Beschorner wrote:I don't know if there is a hot market for this, but price is low enough. Still it looks mighty strange.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-1900s-Bb- ... dZViewItem
EUCHMI has a nice web page on the real thing, complete with audio samples:

http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/ujt/ujt1451.html

However, the one shown on eBay may rightfully be considered as a made-in-India latrine decoration

There's a guy on the web who set out to build his own, using one of the Indian wallhangers as a starting point. Basically, he provided his own conret, additional valve and tubing--just used the bell from the Indian thing.

Back sometime in the 1990's, Boosey made a very small run of Sovereign echo cornets. I saw one on eBay--I think it had a reserve of $2500.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I once had a Henry Distin Echo bell cornet from the 1890s in my hot little hands. It was a beautiful instrument, fully engraved on all of the slides and valve buttons besides the bell. It was in the original hard case with multiple leadpipes and mouthpieces. I would have had no use for it so I didn't spend the $1,100 he wanted for it, but it was a very interesting thing.

These were used by soloists of the time to create a muted "echo" sound without having to stop to insert or remove a mute. It was a similar concept to how double bell euphoniums were used. I also have an ad somewhere for a Distin echo "melody horn." A melody horn was an Eb alto horn with a large, French horn sized, bell, but in an upright configuration. Here's a photo of one that I once owned:

The ad I saw was this type of horn with a large echo attachment like the one on the cornet pictured in the auction to which you refer.

I have also seen modern Besson echo cornets from as late as the 1970s. I have never seen or heard one played, but I imagine it could be interesting.

All that said, this one is most likely a nice decoration, but useless as an instrument.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Have a look at the double-belled relic at the bottom of this old photo:

It's called an "Alpine Echo Horn". Google on it and you'll get zip. Must be really rare.