no name 3/4 tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
bort
6 valves
6 valves

no name 3/4 tuba

Post by bort »

http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-NAME-3-4-TUBA-LI ... dZViewItem

What's the deal with the wrap for the 4th valve tubing? Is that whole thing at the top the tuning slide?

Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Re: no name 3/4 tuba

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

bort wrote:What's the deal with the wrap for the 4th valve tubing? Is that whole thing at the top the tuning slide?
Sure looks like it to me. Don't know what else it could be ... :?:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

What a plain-looking horn! Are we sure it's really German? Maybe Czech or Chinese?
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Chuck(G) wrote:What a plain-looking horn! Are we sure it's really German? Maybe Czech or Chinese?

Looks very similar to some very ancient Amati's that I've seen in some 30+ yr-old public school program inventory.
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

I got a catalog from Custom Music about 7 years ago that had a Sanders tuba in it that looked very similar to this. I remember you guys noting that Sanders tubas are stencil horns for somebody, but I've forgotten who.

The catalog specifically points out the "open wrap" on the fourth valve.
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Doug@GT wrote:I got a catalog from Custom Music about 7 years ago that had a Sanders tuba in it that looked very similar to this. I remember you guys noting that Sanders tubas are stencil horns for somebody, but I've forgotten who.

The catalog specifically points out the "open wrap" on the fourth valve.
The Sanders Imperial horns are made in China. Used to be made in Easter Europe perhaps MORE than 15 years ago.

The 4th valve wrap on the horn in question is very similar to my GDR Carl Wunderlich (Sonora) stencil from the 70's.

The thumbring attachment plate and some of the bracing smack of Mirafone but I don't think any German horns produced as recently as '95 had a keel of that type. My opinion is that IF IT WAS MADE IN '95 it could be a Chinese copy marketed by a German company. This is just an opinion and if I REALLY wanted to know the origin of the horn, I would call the seller for further information. It's very difficult to say exactly who makes what these days!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.