Cerveny F tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
tuba
bugler
bugler

Cerveny F tuba

Post by tuba »

Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

. . .

Post by Uncle Buck »

. . .
Last edited by Uncle Buck on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Why bid early?

Post by Uncle Buck »

I am not an avid ebayer, and don't check auctions very often. When I see an item I'm interested in, I often just bid what I'm willing to pay, and then forget about it until the auction is over.

Of course, I don't win a lot of auctions that way, but I've also never had that "oh s***, look what I just bought" feeling.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Why bid early?

Post by Chuck(G) »

Uncle Buck wrote:I am not an avid ebayer, and don't check auctions very often. When I see an item I'm interested in, I often just bid what I'm willing to pay, and then forget about it until the auction is over.

Of course, I don't win a lot of auctions that way, but I've also never had that "oh s***, look what I just bought" feeling.
I'd never bid on a "private" auction, particularly when it's only a tuba, for cripes' sake. Too much potential for abuse.
tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by tuba »

I suspect shill bidding here. Bidder IDs are kept private, and then about 10 minutes after my bid is placed, incremental bids were placed to top out my bid. Looks like the seller may be trying to influence the bidding. Or maybe just a coincidence.
Wow... my jaw dropped when I read this. For a tuba player to publicly accuse another tuba player of shill bidding... Wow... I just have to say, how dare you! Like I have the time... and the energy... to sit in front of a computer and keep track of who's bidding and then... seriously. People, THERE IS NO SHILL BIDDING GOING ON. Two bidders are engaged in what appears to be a bidding war. THESE BIDDERS HAVE NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ME.

The nerve!! If any of you have doubts as to my honesty as a seller, all you have to do is look at my feedback. Or you should email me privately, or contact ebay. But you DON'T MAKE PUBLIC ACCUSATIONS about a fellow tuba player. At least I would never do such a thing.

There has been some local interest in the F tuba and, in fact, this tuba may sell locally in the next few days. (If so, the auction will be cancelled; this of course is my prerogative as the seller.)

I made the auction private to discourage other tuba sellers from contacting bidders. Anyway, anyone can see from my 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK that I've never engaged in dishonest practices. Furthermore, why would I shill-bid when I know full-well this tuba will sell on its own? This auction began with a "Buy it now!" option, and either of these bidders could have opted to buy the horn outright, instead of waging a bidding war.

I'm disgusted that anyone would question my honesty in such a public manner.

Nicholas Gemas
Last edited by tuba on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

(sheesh--forget that I said anything)
Last edited by Chuck(G) on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Even more interesting

Post by Uncle Buck »

Hmm . . .

All bids cancelled (by the seller) on the original auction right before the auction ended, then . . .

Item re-listed (this time with a reserve price).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerveny-F-tuba-Nice ... dZViewItem

Apparently the "all-sales-are-final" statement does not apply to bids, if the seller didn't think the bids went high enough.

Makes you wonder . . .
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Even more interesting

Post by Lew »

Uncle Buck wrote:Hmm . . .

All bids cancelled (by the seller) on the original auction right before the auction ended, then . . .

Item re-listed (this time with a reserve price).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerveny-F-tuba-Nice ... dZViewItem

Apparently the "all-sales-are-final" statement does not apply to bids, if the seller didn't think the bids went high enough.

Makes you wonder . . .
I think that the seller didn't understand how a buy-it-now and a reserve worked and relisted to add a reserve.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by tuba »

SOLD to a gentleman in Iowa! I still can't believe the second-guessing that's been going on with this auction. I cancelled and relisted the auction for the reasons stated on the new auction page.

Seriously, guys, you have too much time on your hands... (referencing a message I posted several nights ago and promptly deleted so as to not further piss-off the teeming ebay critics).

Nick Gemas
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

OK, who accused me of being a shill bidder on this auction?

I have no idea who this seller is, nor do I have any affiliation with him, yet I find out that someone has accused me of being a shill bidder because I bid on this tuba. As a result of this scurrilous lie my account has been suspended for shill bidding. I bid on this tuba because the opening bid amount was so low without a reserve that I thought it might be worth a shot to see if nobody else bid on it. I didn't really expect it to sell for the low amount of my bid, but if my bid won I would have gotten an F tuba to play around with for very little money.

If you will notice, I didn't bid when the tuba was relisted. If I were shill bidding, wouldn't I have bid on the relisted auction to try to drive up the price? Suspecting something and knowing something are two different things and apparently someone can't tell the difference!
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Me too

Post by Uncle Buck »

I am in exactly the same boat as Lew. Frustrating, since I am extremely interested in a certain tuba on Ebay right now that ends tomorrow, but my bid has been cancelled and I probably won't be able to bid on it.

What is even more frustrating is that Ebay didn't even contact me in advance - they just sent me a notice that my account (with six years of perfect feedback) is now cancelled. Ebay has told me I can appeal, but since they haven't told me why they think I engaged in shill bidding, I don't know what to contest.

I guess that just by bidding on an item where there is funny business going on, I risk losing my Ebay account. Ebay seems to assume guilt by association is present just by virtue of being a bidder on an item.
king2ba
bugler
bugler

uh....

Post by king2ba »

on a totally different note.......how do you play an F tuba with only 4 valves.....hell, I needed a 5th valve just to add enough extra weight to keep the horn from floating away!

:lol:
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

DP wrote:Ultimately I decided to stay away from another auction, that 184 CC that was mentioned, because I didn't want that idiot Uncle Buck character ragging about me to e-bay and tubenet and the rest of the universe, simply because I might have chosen to bid on that item (which sold for a song, I'm sure the buyer appreciates mr. buck also!)
One of the bidders on the 184 (who also won Nick's Cerveny) contacted me--it seems someone was offering him a "second chance" on it. I told him to arrange pickup in person with the seller--needless to say, it was a scam.