tuba ID

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Cowgo
bugler
bugler

tuba ID

Post by Cowgo »

I'm not sure how to break this to my wife, but I just purchased this horn. Any idea who the manufacturer is and what key?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7345421316
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

It's an Eb, but the manufacturer is hard to make out from the single rather blurry view. From the receiver brace, it might be an import. Could also be an old Pan American.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

bloke wrote: I might :?: take a wild guess that its something made around the turn of the century in the northeastern U.S. (Boston?...Rhode Island?...)
Pennsylvania? I dunno--you've got better eyes than I do.
:)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I saw that one and thought about bidding on it just for parts. It's an Eb for certain... probably a Conn stencil. You gonna bring it along this weekend, too? :wink:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Cowgo
bugler
bugler

Post by Cowgo »

TubaTinker wrote:I saw that one and thought about bidding on it just for parts. It's an Eb for certain... probably a Conn stencil. You gonna bring it along this weekend, too? :wink:
I won't have it for this weekend. I think it's a long DIY "trial and error learning" project. I do have an ex-navy horn, a 4V Holton Euph though....we'll talk... :wink:
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

LV wrote:Buttons, caps, and receiver brace don't say "Conn" to me...
Yeah... I think you're probably right. The receiver brace looks like something Amati could have done. Hard telling without a good picture.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Cowgo
bugler
bugler

Post by Cowgo »

I finally got the horn today. Unless it, or my piano, are way off kilter, it's a 3/4 BBb.

After rubbing on it for an hour and risking Brasso poisoning, I can say that it is a Carl Fischer "New York Professional" horn. The serial number is 18255, but I can't locate any Fischer SN lists online. The leadpipe recieiver is small. It won't take a normal tuba MP. I have a very small B&H MP that's way too small for my Miraphone, but on this horn will only go in about a 1/8 of an inch. My euph MP's are too small.

I'm going to try a suggestion from an earlier posting on the subject and wash the horn down with diluted masonry cleaning acid this weekend to remove the massive amount of tarnish. I'll post some before and after pics if it works.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Doesn't hardly look like it could be a BBb, from the tuning slides.

Carl Fischer didn't make their own horns, but stenciled extensively. I've seen Conn-made Fischers and some French-made ones.

Got some dimensions?
Cowgo
bugler
bugler

Post by Cowgo »

bloke wrote:o' course, you can play an "open" Bb on an Eb tuba... :oops:
Bloke is, of course, right, and correctly diagnosed my dumbassitis...it is indeed an E flat dinged up unworkable third valve horn, that's worth a little less than the 60 bucks I paid for it. I'll still have some fun toying around and trying to get it into a playing condition.

I got rid of the tarnish with a liberal application of Limeaway and extremely fine steel wool. It's now a lovely salmon color, although a little brasso worked wonders around the logo.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I tried to do a little research on Carl Fischer last evening and all I could find was info about his publishing company. Did he actually have a factory where he built his horns or were all of his horns stencils?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Cowgo
bugler
bugler

Post by Cowgo »

I had read that the Carl Fischer company bought out York in 1940.