STOLEN Tuba

Put notices of stolen instruments here
Forum rules
This forum is for stolen instruments and board announcements. If you post about a stolen horn, please list as much information that your can, including serial numbers and photos.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

STOLEN Tuba

Post by TUbajohn20J »

My Conn 20J was stolen from my house in Longview, TX this weekend along with other things. But the serial number is 420053 dates to 1953. A police report was filed so if it turns up at a pawn shop it will be flagged. But, this horn is my pride and joy and I've put a lot of money into her. So if you see it, or hear anything from anybody. Shoot me a message on here. And here are some pictures of her. Thanks so much! - John

Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: STOLEN Tuba

Post by imperialbari »

I am sure you posted the story of the modification to the bell and to the leadpipe. Please link to these posts.

Klaus
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Yes thanks! Here are the original threads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24664" target="_blank" target="_blank

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24663" target="_blank
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Others have done similar conversions, yet yours looks so unique that alone that fact, hopefully, soon will bring it back to you.

Klaus
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

That's just sad. I hope you make a quick recovery.

The horn shouldn't be difficult to spot if it comes up for sale. You and I know this is a Conn but is there any bell engraving or other indication that will give a seller who doesn't know what they are doing how to advertise it? If not... Craigslist might just call it a 'tuba'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

It just has the big fancy engraving of that era. and C.G. Conn Elkhart ind and the naked lady engraving on the bell, and 20J on the collar. And yes its a one of a kind horn so it cannot be replaced so I just hope it turns up. I haven't checked craigslist I will do that now! Haven't seen it on ebay yet. Thanks for the kind words.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

That's really a shame. You might personally want to call all the pawn shops within 50 miles and fax/email a nice frontal shot. That horn is unique enough that anybody would recognize it when it hits the door. I know you said the cops were contacting them, but it never hurts to keep it in their minds. I would really empathize how unique this horn is because you know the ethics of some pawn shops is (cough cough) not always to the highest standards. The hotter the item is - the less likely they are to be tempted. Are there any big flea markets in your area? Contact the event organizer and get a photo in their hands. Something this unique and large would be easy to spot on the way in or out of the flea market. Even better if you or somebody you know can walk it just after it opens. There was a notorious one about 25 miles from me that you could probably count on one hand the number of "vendors" not selling stolen merchandise. It ran for years until the cops finally shut it down for good. Hope you get it back soon.

I assume tuba rustling is a Capital Offence down in Texas punishable by hanging!
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Unfortunately, another possibility is the thieves will sell it for scrap metal thinking it is silver. Check with the scrape yards too.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

There has been at least one horrible story about a scrapyard in England buying fully functional instruments stolen from a local band and destroying them.

But if the thief thinks the is going to get the going rate for silver, then the scrapyards soon will tell him otherwise.

Klaus
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Thanks for all the info. Well today I spent all day doing detective work. Personally went to all the pawn shops in my area, talked to them, gave them a flyer with the picture of the horn, serial #, etc.. no luck but they all said they would be on the lookout. Then I went to all 5 scrap yards in the area, no luck either. They said they haven't seen it, and even if they did see something like that, they would normally put it away in storage because that's too "unique" of an item to scrap normally, so they say. But they were all very helpful and posted one of my flyers up in their offices. Then I went to all the music stores in the area, same thing. All will be on the look out. They did suggest that sometimes people will sell them to a school and if that is the case, they would easily find it because those guys are always in and out of schools picking up and delivering horns. Plus they all personally know my tuba so it would be a dead give away if they saw it. So they will be on the lookout.

I guess all I can do now is wait, and keep looking online, and hope some dummy tries to pawn it. Thanks again for all your help and please be on the lookout as well! I want my baby back!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Just realized about 500$ worth of mouthpieces and 2 sousaphone necks and sets of bits are missing too :evil:
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Euphtub
bugler
bugler

Post by Euphtub »

Can you post a list of mouthpieces? Those would be rather unique in a set if someone is looking to make a quick buck.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

It seems strange to me that a common thief would steal mouthpieces and sousaphone necks. I can see how a big shiny silver object would grab a thief's attention and thinking that could be worth a few bucks, but stealing mouthpieces and sousaphone necks seem like somebody who knew something about their value. Not to cast aspersions on anybody you know - but has anybody recently been in your house that was not somebody you know well but knows instruments - a friend of friend type of thing. Have any work done inside recently by painters etc.
Does it seem like the crooks knew what they were looking for in the house versus randomly tossing the place in search of jewelry/money/iphones etc.?
bigbob
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigbob »

It's a real bummer having something stolen!!It makes you feel violated... but I feel it's someone you know and has been over!!.................BB
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

The mouthpieces were a King 26, Bach megatone 7 with gold rim, a Willson mouthpiece that came new with my Willson, Bach 24aw, and Helleburg. with 2 sousaphone necks and some bits, and a really nice 4 mouthpiece pouch by Colorado case.

And as far as it being somebody I know, highly doubt it. Nobody is ever there and there was not much valuable in the house except a plasma TV, and my tuba..since we are using that house for storage right now nobody is living in it. I had 2 tubas in there since I didn't have room for them in my apartment. So I'm sure somebody has been watching the house noticing that nobody is ever there and decided to make a move on it. They basically tore through everything, cabinets, drawers, tore the bed apart looking under the mattress for money etc.

Pretty much the only valuable things in the house were the tubas, TV, bicycle, and tools, which they stole. I'm sure they found my tuba cabinet with all the mouthpieces necks and bits and thought that would be easy money to scrap all that metal. I'm sure they don't know the value of it, they just saw some shiny silver objects and snatched what they can. Luckily, they didn't take both tubas. They left the 10J sitting on the stand where I left it. Anyway, still hoping for the best!!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

According to the police there have been a few break ins in that area (it's a pretty old neighborhood, not that good of an area to begin with). And all breakins were done similarly, through one of the back windows and ransacking the whole house digging for anything of value.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

TUbajohn20J wrote:I'm sure they don't know the value of it...
Absolutely true. I had a camera stolen from my house once, and the police office who made the report said the same thing -- the thief probably sold it on the corner for $20 to spend on his heroin for the day... and if he smart about it, he would sell it for hundreds of dollars and be set to cover his habit for a few weeks. :shock:
alfredr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by alfredr »

If he got that much money/drugs, he could overdose.
bigbob
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigbob »

Have you heard any more about your stolen goods yet??Also what holder were you using on your 20 J??....BB
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

bigbob wrote:Have you heard any more about your stolen goods yet??Also what holder were you using on your 20 J??....BB
Nothing yet. It's not looking good.. Thanks for your concern. And that is a Wenger tuba stand. Best tuba stand out there very heavy duty
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid