Stolen Yamaha Custom F

Put notices of stolen instruments here
Forum rules
This forum is for stolen instruments and board announcements. If you post about a stolen horn, please list as much information that your can, including serial numbers and photos.
ryandchen
lurker
lurker

Stolen Yamaha Custom F

Post by ryandchen »

Hi TubeNet,

After lurking here for probably about 8 years or so, I'm finally posting here for the first time under some unfortunate circumstances. On Thursday August 18, my car was broken into in San Francisco and my F tuba (Yamaha YFB-822S, serial number 434842) was stolen out of it . I'm hoping that I can enlist the help of this community in both vigilance for the stolen instrument and suggestions for actions to take. Any help or guidance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to my post on Facebook that includes pictures and video; I set the privacy settings to "public" on the post, so I believe that everyone can see it, even those without Facebook accounts - please let me know if this isn't the case!

So far, I've filed a police report, contacted or visited all (as far as I can tell) of the pawn shops and music stores in San Francisco and Oakland, scoured the major weekend flea markets, and shared the above Facebook post in the Tuba/Euphonium group. I also returned to the scene of the crime to see if anyone who was working in nearby businesses that evening saw or heard anything, but that endeavor hasn't been fruitful at all.

In terms of covering my losses, my car insurance unfortunately only covers liability and isn't comprehensive (i.e. doesn't insure against personal losses/damages) and I don't have renter's insurance or anything similar, but I'm in the process of finding out whether or not my parents' homeowner's insurance may cover the horn.

Is there anything else I could/should be doing to improve my chances of recovering the instrument (quickly)? Again, I sincerely appreciate any input.

Looking forward to hearing from folks and thanks in advance for your vigilance and help!

Thanks,
Ryan

PS: I've been amazed at how generous my Facebook friends have been with sharing my post and also how many of their friends (who are strangers to me) have done the same! I'm glad to be part of such a supportive community.
hduong
bugler
bugler

Re: Stolen Yamaha Custom F

Post by hduong »

Definitely hit up all the shops in the South Bay if you can. Starving Musician, Park Ave Music Center/Peninsula Music & Repair, Music Village, Tap-Tempo Music Shop
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

bump to keep this at the top
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

A friend had custom bagpipes disappear in a burglary. One year later, someone called an ad in the paper of a guy who was offering to buy instruments, and offered him the bagpipes for $20. He saw what they were, bought them, and tracked down the owner. So putting an ad on Craigslist or something like that looking to buy might get you somewhere.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Nice, nice sound in the video. I hope you get your horn back soon.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

There are a few pawn shops just south of Market St. in S.F. If it was a Tenderloin or 'So Ma' type person who stole it, they may have been wanting just enough dough for a quick fix. The Tenderloin is very much like that. If it was stolen at night, security cameras may not be a lot of help.

Call my trumpet/euphonium playing friend who works at Bronstein Music in South S.F., Bryce Martins. Those people know lots of brass players in the area, and the owner of Bronstein's is really well connected with the S.F. music scene. You never know - could be worth a shot.

http://www.bronsteinmusic.com/" target="_blank
mek42
lurker
lurker

Post by mek42 »

You might also see if buya.com would be willing to distribute the serial number to their member pawnshops.

I hope it is recovered quickly.
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

It it got pawned, you are lucky in a sense. It will stay put until well after the person defaults. The pawn shops in SF are fairly reputable and most don't want to deal with stolen goods. Liberal Loan on 7th off Mission is an exception. I would pop in there every so often. And Mission Loan(?) - the big green one - on Mission is also pretty unsavory.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
Master Sergeant Tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Master Sergeant Tuba »

For what it's worth, stealing bagpipes is like stealing a porcupine on fire.

I hope your horn shows up.
Jeff the Retired Army Tuba Player
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

Did you ever get the horn back?
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F