Tubenet Self-Destrucion Bookmark and Share

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.

Tubenet Self-Destrucion

Postby greenbean » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Tubenet has a big problem.

As some of you may know, many forum members have left in the past several weeks. I will guess that the number is close to 200. Many of them (all?) have had their posts deleted. Many asked for their posts to be deleted; others, I suspect, did not, but I don't really know. Most Internet forums do not delete posts like this. In their view, they hold the copyright on the posts and they will close accounts but they never delete posts. Because they understand that Internet forums like Tubenet are not Facebook. They are for both facilitating discussion and archiving discussions. The 100,000s of existing Tubenet posts is a tremendous resource for tuba players of all levels. Wonder why the slides are so long on a tuba you own? Search it up and, for sure, there was a discussion about that exact topic back in 2010. Curious to know when tuba manufacturer so-and-so changed some features on a beloved tuba? Tubenet to the rescue! The history of that tuba model has been explained in detail in a few threads over the years.

So, what is the big problem? Well, the admin/mods are willingly deleting tens of thousands posts of the former members. This destroys many (most?) of the threads where the posts were. An extreme example is the Dueling 186s - Twin Restorations thread. ‘The elephant’ created the thread to chronicle his restorations of two 186 tubas. Now his posts with all their detailed descriptions and photos are gone. The rest of the posts are still there but they make no sense. The thread is total gibberish. It is like ordering a full meal and getting some scraps. Good for the dog, I suppose.

A more representative example is what happened to me this morning. I did a search for ‘2341’ to learn more about the water-draining issues with King 2341 tubas. The result was 200+ pages of results. I started reading the oldest posts first (2004) because I am interested in the old-style 2341s specifically. Thread after thread, even ones started in back in 2004, are difficult if not impossible to read. Many of them start with a response to a fantom OP who had asked a question. If you are lucky, someone will quote the OP and you will learn what was asked. Otherwise, you will have to just figure it out. Many threads are fine but others are largely worthless. Do some reading and you will find that Tubenet is FULL of damaged threads and gibberish threads like these examples.

So, here we are. The self-destruction of Tubenet is underway. And, to be clear, I am not posting this to criticise the new admin/mods here. I am posting this to alert Tubnet members that this valuable archive of tuba-related information is being destroyed. For the sake of the tuba community, I hope the deleted posts can be restored. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.Superfinecases.com
VMI/B&S 103 BBb w/ Hammond mpcs
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Re: Tubenet Self-Destrucion

Postby paulver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:34 pm

What the heck is going on with this site?
I'm not a pro tuba player, nor am I dependent on this site for everything tuba. But, I used to like to come here and read the info posted by others, get some advice, and help now and then. Now, I see these somewhat cryptic posts that allude to things that were bad.... in one form or another. The explanations were also somewhat lacking in directly addressing said issues.

Not trying to stir the pot, but............ What am I missing here??
paulver

Postby paulver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:39 pm

I can't even edit my own previous post.

Is the new logo supposed to be symbolic?
paulver

Postby JTJ » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:23 pm

I've been following Tubenet for years. Don't post much. But have enjoyed and learned from the many threads. It is now a Swiss cheese site. It would be a shame to lose so much info down the memory hole. People leave for various reasons, but should not have the right to take content down as they go.
JTJ
bugler
bugler

Postby greenbean » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:03 pm

JTJ wrote:Swiss cheese site...

The perfect name for it. It is absolutely moronic what they have done.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.Superfinecases.com
VMI/B&S 103 BBb w/ Hammond mpcs
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Postby MikeMason » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 am

It’s basically religious style book burning. Whateva
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor