Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

Pretty sure it already does just that. :P

Also, on the main BBS page if you look in the top(ish) right corner of the screen you will see a link to show all the activity since your last login.

Does that satisfy what you were asking for?
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

Not here, they don't. My scrollwheel is going to wear out. Either that or my index finger will die a prematue death from ostoearthritis thanks to having to scroll to the bottom each time for the most recent post. This is my greatest beef with the new forum.

It's still a great place to visit, or I wouldn't be here, would I?

Thanks Sean!

Jerry
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

OK. I misunderstood. Topics with recent replies flow to the top of the topics list, but new posts in threads are at the bottom of a long list that we have to scroll through. Why can't we have the most recent post at the top of the thread? That is, sort them in descending order by date/time of posting? It is much easier, for me at least, to follow discussions that are ordered this way.

Jerry
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Something to flow Topics with recent replies to the top?

Post by WoodSheddin »

losgatos_dale@yahoo.com wrote:An idea, not sure if THIS forum allows for that, but when "replies" or "posts" to topics are made, a search to see new stuff would be easier if topics with the most recent posts were flowed to the top of the list.
I'll look into it. No promises though. It might be a tough one.
sean chisham
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I just don't scroll with the mouse. The space bar goes page-by-page, and arrow keys go line-by-line. Or, I can press command-down arrow, and it shoots right to the bottom. And, option-arrow moves page-by-page up or down, depending on which arrow I press.

But, YKCMV (Your Key Command May Vary), since this is on a Mac.

Also, if you've chosen to be informed of new posts in a particular topic, the link in the email you'd receive will direct you straight to the newest post that you haven't read yet.

Anyways, that's not the perfect response to the question, but it's a workaround, and I'd have more trouble following conversations if they "read upwards", so to speak. It's just more natural to read top-to-bottom.
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

All right! Good suggestion. On my Windows 2K machine I can navigate using the 'Home' and 'End' keys to the top or the bottom of a thread. Good call. Now to get away from the mouse completely I need to be able to enter and leave a thread from the keyboard as well as to select a thread to view. 'Alt' 'Right arrow' enters a thread once selected and 'Alt' 'Left Arrow' moves back to the thread list, but I can't navigate once I reach the threads. Nor can I enter a thread from the keyboard.

I agree that using keyboard combinations is much faster than mousing, and prefer to do so when it is possible. But I dislike intensely having to switch back and forth between keyboard and mouse because of incomplete implementations of keyboard shortcuts. Has anyone figured out how to navigate thread topics and then open the thread from the keyboard?

Jerry
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Depending on the browser, you'll probably be able to Tab from link to link, then press return to open the link. Safari's default setting is Tab highlights each text field while option-Tab highlights each link on the page.

Granted, this isn't perfect either, since there are numerous links on any page.

Maybe it's just easier to mouse with my laptop, since the trackpad is right there under the keyboard. Even so, the only reason I use the mouse/trackpad anymore is to click links, and from there I use the keyboard as much as possible.

Could also be because I'm old enough to have spent plenty of time on Apple II's, PS/2's and VAX machines, and I'm used to key-ing everywhere on the screen ... lol