How can I see a full line of text on screen?

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

What resolution are you using? I'm at 1024x768, but if I switch to 800x600, I'd have the same problem you're describing.
dave
bugler
bugler

Post by dave »

I was just going to post the same complaint, but ArtH beat me to it.

The problem is that whatever widget the programmer used for the text messages, it is not sensitive to window width and does not re-wrap text for narrow windows (at least when reading the post using IE). That means that the user has to resize browser windows to match what the widget thinks is appropriate. This sounds like a bug with the software Sean is using.

Someone trying to read tubenet on a device with small screen (PDA, etc.) would continually need to scroll left and right as a result.

If anyone is actually trying that, please post your observations...

Dave
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

JeffO wrote:The PhpBB advertising plus the "TubeNet gear 4sale" graphic are waaaay too wide by good design standards. I've got my browser fairly large and everything has to scroll to the right because of those two items at the top of the page, which won't collapse. Just make the TubeNet ad much narrower and it will be better for everybody.

I now see there is also ad banners rotated in there. I think they and the PhpBB ads need to be on top of each other, not side by side.That's too much width that won't collapse.

Thanks for a great job so far on the new board.
Thanks for the sleuthing. Noted.
sean chisham
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Text wraps fine for me, but that's because I'm using a style sheet that blocks ads from being loaded.

I just now tried IE on my Mac, and with the ads on the top, it won't get any narrower than nearly-full-screen without having to add a scroll bar to the bottom of the window. On Safari, with ads blocked, there's no such problem.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

I resized the Google ad. did that help?
sean chisham
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

I haven't looked closely to discover the reasons - but I'll offer a clue: the screenwidth that triggers a left-right scroll bar VARIES with the forum.

In my opinion, it's a flaw that the text is not automagically wrapped - but the second choice would be a *consistent* width to avoid scrolling. Actually, I'm guessing that the text *is* wrapped (compared with the original) but the wrapping varies with the forum, and not with the screen width selected by the user.

I typically have a few other things active on my screen at the same time as TubeNet, so I'm not usually "full width". Most of the forums fit without a scroll bar - and I'm mildly annoyed when I hit the one or two which don't.

Fixing this would be "a good thing".
Kenneth Sloan
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

It looks like Sean fixed the earlier problem with having to scroll left & right to read a line. Thanks Sean.

However, this problem will still crop up in threads where someone posts a large picture or long URL (unless the software allows wrapping of URLs).

In threads with a large picture (or long URL), you'll have to scroll left and right to read. Once you're done reading that thread and go to another thread (without a large pic), the display should go back to normal.

In the thread about "Willson 2975" where Klaus posted a couple of links He posted a link which is very long.
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yo ... +comp+euph

If the long URL is the problem, you can 'embed' the link using the "bb codes".
That link above could be shown as...

Long link

The coding for that 'long link' looks like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yorkmasterpublicphotosix/lst?&.dir=/Willson+front+action+2975+4P+comp+euph]Long link[/url]
I highlighted the URL, clicked on the URL button, then added equal sign after the first URL label, deleted the right bracket ( ] ), and added that bracket in front of the last URL label. Then typed whatever name or label between those two brackets that I wanted seen.

Hope this helps.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Before I posted the above, the width of this thread was normal. I see that the URL is wrapping, but for some reason, it still causes the width to be wide. Since there are no pictures in this thread, it has to be caused by something in the long URL (not the embeded URL, but the long one).
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)