Speed up page loading

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Speed up page loading

Post by Rick F »

Sean, some other phpBB boards I frequent have page breaks for the different sections. As a section starts to get longer and longer (like 'Tubenet'), it takes longer until you get to read anything as the whole page has to load before you see anything. If there are pages of say 30 or 40 posts on each page, then it won't take as long to load. Maybe you've already though of this. Just a suggestion.

Here's an example at McAfee's Help Forum where it's up to 289 pages just for one section:

McAfee's Help Forum
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Speed up page loading

Post by WoodSheddin »

Rick F wrote:Sean, some other phpBB boards I frequent have page breaks for the different sections. As a section starts to get longer and longer (like 'Tubenet'), it takes longer until you get to read anything as the whole page has to load before you see anything. If there are pages of say 30 or 40 posts on each page, then it won't take as long to load. Maybe you've already though of this. Just a suggestion.
I have the topics/page at 50. Is that too long for dialup?
sean chisham
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Hi Sean. Boy that was quick!

I just timed 'Tubenet' loading and it took about 15 seconds when I'm connected on a 56K modem.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Rick F wrote:Hi Sean. Boy that was quick!

I just timed 'Tubenet' loading and it took about 15 seconds when I'm connected on a 56K modem.
OUCH. One sec, I will turn it down to 30.
sean chisham
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Thanks. That's a little faster Sean. Takes about 8 seconds now.

For some reason, I've noticed the last few days that after a forum page finishes loading (not a thread but a forum like Tubenet, or feedback), it will blank and then reload - which takes twice as much time. Not sure what it is though. Could if have something to do with the ads maybe? Maybe it's just my machine. :?:
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

It's been a while since I've poked around in our settings, but is there a way to adjust how many posts will appear per page on our end?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Leland wrote:It's been a while since I've poked around in our settings, but is there a way to adjust how many posts will appear per page on our end?
no
sean chisham