end of Daylight Savings...

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: end of Daylight Savings...

Post by The Big Ben »

I dunno. Why don't you make some and see?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Daylight savings time doesn't officially end until 2am. You're gonna be awake for a while in order to find out.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

What happens, from experience, is that anything submitted between 1:00 and 1:59:59 a.m. posts with the time indicated in daylight savings time on the host computer, not the submitting computer.

At 2:00, when those host computer-driven clocks with the time change aplet automatically adjust, then 2:00 is automatically 1:00, and everything posts with the time from 1:00 a.m. on, in standard time. So you could make the same post one hour apart, and it would look like a double post. Or you could make a different post one hour apart, and it would look like twilight zone.

As for me, with my Mom's folks traditionally having been farmers, daylight savings time is a curse. The cows don't like to be milked an hour differently depending on the season, to say nothing about the rest of the chores, like seasonal hay baling, etc. So it may be fine for city-slickers, like I have become - Dad's side of the family were teachers and lawyers, but for the folks that keep us fed and clothed it is a pain in the @$$.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I don't have a problem with Daylight Savings Time. However... I DO NOT like being an hour behind the rest of Indiana except for a couple of counties southeast of Chicago. Evansville (southwestern corner of Indiana) is on Central Time.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Know what confuses me every time? Trying to figure out, if I forget to set the clock back (or ahead), would I be 1 hour early or late the next day? I was a math major, and do a ton of work with numbers at work and school, all day every day. Yet adding and subtracting 1 is just too much for me. :oops:
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

I always start during the day on the Saturday of the pending switchover. One year I adjusted a couple of watches an hour in the opposite direction before I realized it. :oops: (Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur because nowadays most just check the time on their smartphones. I think looking at my wrist is a heck of a lot easier than digging out my smartphone. A stealthy glance at my wrist can also be a lot more subtle when I need to check the time without someone else noticing.)
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bort wrote:Know what confuses me every time? Trying to figure out, if I forget to set the clock back (or ahead), would I be 1 hour early or late the next day? I was a math major, and do a ton of work with numbers at work and school, all day every day. Yet adding and subtracting 1 is just too much for me. :oops:
Just forget trying to figure out whether you lose or gain an hours sleep! The simplest way for me to remember is:

- In the Spring you 'spring forth'. 2am becomes 3am.

- In the Fall you 'fall back'. 2am becomes 1am.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

iiipopes wrote:As for me, with my Mom's folks traditionally having been farmers, daylight savings time is a curse. The cows don't like to be milked an hour differently depending on the season, to say nothing about the rest of the chores, like seasonal hay baling, etc. So it may be fine for city-slickers, like I have become - Dad's side of the family were teachers and lawyers, but for the folks that keep us fed and clothed it is a pain in the @$$.
I've always been told that the "daylight savings time" was designed to be an advantage for the farmers. Really haven't given it a lot of thought. I worked outside for years and the end of daylight savings time meant we had to shut off work an hour or so earlier because, along with the changing of the seasons, the loss of an hour's daylight made it so we couldn't see what we were dinging and it was very impractical to light up our working area.

But, what do I know? I'm a Liiiiiberal.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The Big Ben wrote:I've always been told that the "daylight savings time" was designed to be an advantage for the farmers. Really haven't given it a lot of thought. I worked outside for years and the end of daylight savings time meant we had to shut off work an hour or so earlier because, along with the changing of the seasons, the loss of an hour's daylight made it so we couldn't see what we were dinging and it was very impractical to light up our working area.

But, what do I know? I'm a Liiiiiberal.
Yes, the "benefit to farmers" is a myth. One of many. Here you go:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html" target="_blank

http://www.history.com/news/8-things-yo ... aving-time" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
DHMTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by DHMTuba »

Yes, the "benefit to farmers" is a myth.
In one history I read, a farmer was quoted as saying "cows can't read clocks".
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

DHMTuba wrote:
Yes, the "benefit to farmers" is a myth.
In one history I read, a farmer was quoted as saying "cows can't read clocks".
I've always wondered if it really mattered if the daylight hours came earlier or later in the day.

While in The Navy... I was quite content with Zulu time. I don't think there should be time zones at all.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Cows may not be able to read clocks but they know when they want their tits pulled. They get angry when it's tardy.

Jeff "E-I-E-I-O" Benedict