Just a question...

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Just a question...

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Maybe the answers will be helpful or maybe they won't - but I wanted to pose the question anyway.

I know that we all have screen names on TubeNet, mine is pretty clever (!), and people can basically post anonymously. That's fine. But, when someone is selling ANYTHING on TubeNet does it make anyone else feel odd that the seller doesn't include their name in the original post? Especially with big ticket items (like tubas and euphoniums) I like to ascertain that I can trust the seller as much as possible before making any transaction, that starts with the initial ad. When a person doesn't include their name, I can't even address them properly when sending them a message about whatever it is they're selling. So, the short version...

When buying from someone on TubeNet, does it bother you when the seller isn't transparent about their name in their original post?

Thanks and happy Tuba-ing!

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Just a question...

Post by MackBrass »

MikeMilnarik wrote:Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Maybe the answers will be helpful or maybe they won't - but I wanted to pose the question anyway.

I know that we all have screen names on TubeNet, mine is pretty clever (!), and people can basically post anonymously. That's fine. But, when someone is selling ANYTHING on TubeNet does it make anyone else feel odd that the seller doesn't include their name in the original post? Especially with big ticket items (like tubas and euphoniums) I like to ascertain that I can trust the seller as much as possible before making any transaction, that starts with the initial ad. When a person doesn't include their name, I can't even address them properly when sending them a message about whatever it is they're selling. So, the short version...

When buying from someone on TubeNet, does it bother you when the seller isn't transparent about their name in their original post?

Thanks and happy Tuba-ing!

Mike Milnarik
It doesn't just happen here, I get emails all the time that not only has no name at the end, but they don't even say hi to start the letter off. Did the school systems drop writing letters 101 from their curriculum?

Here is an example of what I have received on more than one occasion: "do you have this in stock" More than just one issue with that but I have to laugh because I have to also guess what instrument they are looking for?
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Just a question...

Post by tofu »

No it doesn't bother me if there is no name on the original post. Some of us need and/or prefer to keep our anonymity and having to post that on a for sale item post would obviously blow that right out of the water. OTOH, I always include that when I've reached the point of concluding a buy or sell agreement via a PM or email. BTW, people buy and sell all the time in total anonymity for all types of things in life. For instance I use land trusts for all my real estate purchases for example. With so much easy access these days to info that while in the past has always been publicly available -it was difficult and time consuming to get it - now a few key strokes and you have a treasure trove of personal info that really is in large degree nobody's business but yours and the taxing authorities. There are lots of reasons people don't want their names out there - especially in the age of identity theft. If it makes you uncomfortable then don't buy from them - but if you're going enforce some type of everybody is outed on here then people like me will simply not make stuff available.