Community Standards

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Community Standards

Post by iiipopes »

As I have perused the threads since the grand reopening, I really don't see much that is different. But I do notice posts here and there which I recall from the previous versions of the threads having been deleted. How those posts that I recall violated the new community standards I will never know, as I did not perceive malice or bias in them.

I know we are all here at the pleasure of the owner of the forum, and any one of us may be warned, censured, or expelled at will. But I caution the owners and especially the new moderator team to be careful of reactionism. This forum historically has been a great place to debate points of view on many issues, whether "strictly" low brass related or not, and all disagreements I have seen were objective, and never impugned the character of the holder of the opposite view. That is a value that is definitely lost on other forums, and it does appear that is what the owners and moderators are trying to preserve on this forum. But be careful. It would be a shame if this forum ended up as nothing but an agree to the post or get deleted, chilling posting of opposite views unnecessarily, as some other forums are.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Re: Community Standards

Post by brendanige »

System reset to a tubenet backup from the past. Some posts are gone, but not by moderation. It was maintenance. The server went down.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

brendanige wrote:System reset to a tubenet backup from the past. Some posts are gone, but not by moderation. It was maintenance. The server went down.
Proactive reporting of said server issue would have been helpful to those of us concerned we may have inadvertently offended someone when we noticed our missing posts. Thank you for your hard work in making Tubenet inclusive of everyone.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

Worth wrote:
brendanige wrote:System reset to a tubenet backup from the past. Some posts are gone, but not by moderation. It was maintenance. The server went down.
Proactive reporting of said server issue would have been helpful to those of us concerned we may have inadvertently offended someone when we noticed our missing posts. Thank you for your hard work in making Tubenet inclusive of everyone.
Good point. Sorry about that, it slipped our minds. We'll be proactive about that if/when it happens again in the future.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I'm glad to see that TubeNet is stlll 'alive'. The Sean and Farah have done a remarkable job keep things on an 'even keel' the nearly twenty years I've been hanging around here.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Worth wrote:
This is a good point. I’ll make an announcement that there might be a software upgrade soon-ish which will result in some posts going missing. I’m going by cleaning up the forum tree, not much info will be lost.
--farah chisham
TubaLB
lurker
lurker

Post by TubaLB »

SteveP wrote:
KiltieTuba wrote:Shame to see Mark gone, he was an even-handed moderator.
Apparently the current 'management team' doesn't agree.
They aren’t even a management team. It’s just a bunch of tuba subreddit moderators coming together. Mark is an awesome person. All of the old admins have been kicked, not just him. No “ thanks for helping me get my page where it is now” no nothing. Just got booted.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

So in the thread "When will we see this sort of event again", although off topic itself there was tons of good dialogue regarding Covid and a good exchange of vital information from a resident couple of doctors and such. Mysteriously the "server" itself deleted only those health related posts and left up the non-health related posts? Is that the story you want us to believe? I wasn't aware the AI was so intelligent on such old software.
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

groth wrote:
So in the thread "When will we see this sort of event again", although off topic itself there was tons of good dialogue regarding Covid and a good exchange of vital information from a resident couple of doctors and such. Mysteriously the "server" itself deleted only those health related posts and left up the non-health related posts? Is that the story you want us to believe? I wasn't aware the AI was so intelligent on such old software.
Yes, I noticed that also in an other thread.
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

Again a whole thread that disappeared.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

Last edited by dopey on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

All of this makes me incredibly sad. Tubenet was really something special, a community that started as a BBS, became a forum and even *to this day* was the goto place for 'serious' tuba discussion. To see the destruction of this unfold, in the name of activism while at the same time silencing critics, i'm sincerely at a loss of words.
"With enough rope"..as the old saying goes (and no it's not racist) that people usually hang themselves because their egos get the better of them. I believe the majority agree with community standards but also agree a certain faction is exposing their dark ugly side for all the world to see and when this all blows over (and it will) they will be cast out of the community at large with a bad reputation.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

For over 20 years, I have been coming [far too often] to tubenet to both engage in tuba talk and learn from it and to escape the ever-increasing narrowness of this PC world around us. Those very few wingnuts that caused a ripple here were rapidly exorcised and things went along quite well.
I understand that our forum owners are military and are forbidden to engage in political activities and I get that; politics were generally kept from getting over the top. As to lgbtq+, whatever, issues, almost never did they become an issue until someone determined that we all need re-education. This is a sad week on many fronts.
Scottw
Bearin' up!
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

+1

I'm given to understand that Elephant has been banned. :(
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Well that's a dang shame. He's one of the people that really WAS tube net. Kind of upsetting to see so many people getting banned and leaving all at the same time.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

UncleBeer wrote:+1

I'm given to understand that Elephant has been banned. :(

Guess he was too mean.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I'm unable to find "elephant", "wade", or "rackey" in the membership list.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

They were purged, most likely, along with all the knowledge they had imparted. I guess they were worried about subliminal bigoted messages hidden in their posts.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
binlove
bugler
bugler

Post by binlove »

I mean, all the posts are right there, intact (other than the user info). I'm sad we won't get to have the whole project documented for posterity in one place, but there's no reason to be dramatic.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

binlove wrote:I mean, all the posts are right there, intact (other than the user info). I'm sad we won't get to have the whole project documented for posterity in one place, but there's no reason to be dramatic.
Hahahahahaha. Attribution of contribution of knowledge is no small thing. I guess times change . . .