TubeNet Reset Again and Hello

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
brendanige
bugler
bugler

TubeNet Reset Again and Hello

Post by brendanige »

To repair the repair forum, Sean reset the site and a few posts were lost. If you post deleted it was not moderation. I will always tell someone when I delete a post.

Now, a brief hello. My name is Brendan Ige and I will be moderating here (alongside the rest of the mods and admin) for the foreseeable future and hope to add to the moderation team as things settle down. I sense much anxiety about the state of TubeNet. If you care to know more about me than "TubeNet Moderator" or "Activist" here is my bio.

https://www.emich.edu/music-dance/faculty/b-ige.php" target="_blank

Rest assured, I love tubenet. If the recent changes in philosophy make you feel excluded, my sincerest apologies. I am sad that many people have decided to leave. The 2 bans I have issued were due to private messages and I will not go into why or what was said to respect their privacy. I do not intend to be a censor unless people are not being kind. Be kind, first and foremost. If any are worried about TubeNet being claimed unssupportive, rest assured, all of those sites have amended their statements seeing the progress being made so far.

I apologize to those who will miss general chatter but it will not be coming back. I understand that many people connected with their friends this way. I know that these resourceful individuals will find a way to continue connecting. More forums are already being created for this purpose. I look forward to building community on this site. I do not want to ban people. I want this community to flourish. People are drawing conclusions having not said a word to me. I'm always open to conversation. Let me know if you'd like to talk to me, I'd be happy to schedule a time. I can also be reached here: brassthoughts@gmail.com" target="_blank

I look forward to making friends here,
Dr. Brendan Ige (You can call me Brendan, as long as you act like a friend and are kind.)
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: TubeNet Reset Again and Hello

Post by WoodSheddin »

thank you, Brendan
sean chisham
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

Brendan,

I will be a friend to you and be kind by offering advice and asking questions that you can clarify for the community. If TubeNet is successful, you will be successful.

It was a mistake to start here by scolding and lecturing. Your tone was quite off-putting as you seemed to put yourself on a pedestal of moral superiority. Since your title is Moderator, think about the meaning of that word.

Since you made such repeated emphasis on kindness, can you please tell us your version of what is kind or unkind? Speak your truth.

If a member expresses an idea I disagree with, is he/she being unkind? If a tuba player believes that a composition or theme is of low quality and describes why, is that unkind? Is the rainbow-themed TubeNet emblem a social/political statement? Are social/political statements still allowed on this forum? Since discussions about discrimination are allowed, does this not have social/political ramifications? Is diversity of philosophy encouraged?

Tuba players are musicians who just happen to play the tuba. Musicians are intertwined in culture and society. We think about bigger things that give life meaning and purpose. A free discussion about these ideas is enriching. “Kindness” can be used as a pretext to shut down discussion and prevent quality ideas from flourishing.

Brendan, your judgment and integrity in how you moderate this forum will be evaluated by free-thinking individuals. TubeNet has been a blessing to me, but it can certainly be replaced.
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

Just an inquiry - when are private messages not private?
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I've never seen a bbs where admins could not access private messages, just like private email servers are not secure from those who run them.

Some times it's a matter of security. Years ago, I was a mod on a BBS where three people were constantly disrupting the board squabbling. One of the other mods finally checked their private messages and found out that they were planning their fights in advance because they thought it was hilarious. We booted them, and they subsequently destroyed the board and its successor with the worst trolling I've ever seen.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

GC wrote:I've never seen a bbs where admins could not access private messages, just like private email servers are not secure from those who run them.
I guess I was asking for clarification - I want to know just under what circumstances will private not be private. I think it's a fair question.
Last edited by LibraryMark on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

I will never go into another members private messages- not ethical in any case. If a member sends me a screenshot of another member sending something "not allowed" I will also take action.

The 2 people sent private message to moderators that were deemed... inappropriate to say the least.

Sorry if the tone seems condescending. I do stand by my statement though. It is merely to assert that I am here to do a job, I hope to make friends, and if you have a problem with that and want to say things about me (or are just interested), here are my credentials relevant to tuba.
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

brendanige wrote: Sorry if the tone seems condescending. I do stand by my statement though. It is merely to assert that I am here to do a job, I hope to make friends, and if you have a problem with that and want to say things about me (or are just interested), here are my credentials relevant to tuba.
Was there supposed to be a link to your credentials? No problem, Brendan. I think I know what's going on now.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

Yes, a short bio of me is included in my introduction for those wanting to know more or who need more information based on what they are saying about me.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

Brendan,

Yes, you are here to do a job. Remember that in any job, especially in a managerial or leadership position, authority and responsibility go together. You came in very quick and eager to communicate much authority. Now you are responsible for what you wrote and must explain it. Can you address my questions and comments in the above post? They pretty much summarize what many TubeNet members are saying. Until you address it directly and thoroughly, you are not doing your job.
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

Discriminatory censorship was the biggest culprit.
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

Also, give this a read on why BLM is in the logo...

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforc ... -osc-says/" target="_blank
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

brendanige wrote:Also, give this a read on why BLM is in the logo...

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforc ... -osc-says/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Please also note that the National Rifle Association is also not covered under the Hatch act, so people are freely able to display their slogans and/or logos. So I question how much the federal standard applies to the general public. I certainly would consider any post involving the NRA to be political.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

I've been a member of this board for over 16 years although I don't post very often. I enjoy reading posts and have learned quite a lot. I thought we were doing quite well without a bunch of rules. This whole discussion saddens me. In general I have found almost all tuba players to be great people to know, Phil
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

tbonesullivan wrote:

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforc ... -osc-says/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Please also note that the National Rifle Association is also not covered under the Hatch act, so people are freely able to display their slogans and/or logos. So I question how much the federal standard applies to the general public. I certainly would consider any post involving the NRA to be political.
How many NRA posts have you ever seen here?
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

Brendan, you're stretching so far, you might snap. As a federal employee, I know all about the Hatch Act.. So then, any "constellation of ideas, objectives and groups" should be promoted on TubeNet? Or just your personal favorites? Did you really want to limit this forum to tuba discussion? Hypocrisy is easily recognized. As the moderator, you are setting an example. Remember your responsibility, not just your authority. Every religion has a version of The Golden Rule.
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

If you play tuba at an NRA rally or make a cool bell cover with NRA on it, wonderful. I don't think promoting the NRA is hate speech or political and there would be intersection with tuba. This post has become more feedback than anything else so it will be moved there. Thank you for your feedback. It will be duly noted.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

bort wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforc ... -osc-says/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
How many NRA posts have you ever seen here?
Do they make a heavy-walled stainless steel mouthpiece?
Rob. Just Rob.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

"Duly noted" but not addressed means it is ignored, running away from the substance of the discussion.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

brendanige wrote:...
I apologize to those who will miss general chatter but it will not be coming back. I understand that many people connected with their friends this way. I know that these resourceful individuals will find a way to continue connecting. More forums are already being created for this purpose. I look forward to building community on this site.
May i ask what forums are being created to serve community in its place?

I certainly miss General Chatter content, and hope that at least the tuba related content in it becomes accessible at some point in the future.
Thanks for playing!