New logo

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

New logo

Post by bort »

It appears that there is a new logo.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: New logo

Post by Three Valves »

“Educate yourself or leave” :roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

I found two pennies, here they are.

The new logo is not necessary. It literally takes sides in a discussion. There are people who don't agree with homosexuality, be it for religious reasons or what have you. That doesn't mean they are discriminatory or intolerant, it simply means it's not for them. It's possible to disagree with an idea and NOT be intolerant of that idea. I disagree with the idea of eating Indian food, I don't like it at all, but I am tolerant of those who enjoy it. The new logo implies that is not the case - that is the precise opposite of inclusive. The US works best when people have different viewpoints and can still get along. There's just something terribly Orwellian about expecting or promoting anything else.

The black background doesn't work. Many of the titles and links are dark blue on a black background. Basic web design, people - make the items people need visible and usable.
Rob. Just Rob.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

kingrob76 wrote: It's possible to disagree with an idea and NOT be intolerant of that idea.
This is 2020 Boomer, get with the program!! :lol:

But seriously folks...

Maybe you remember many of your gay friends and co-workers suffering and dying of AIDS back in the 90s.

Maybe you remember you Black friends and coworkers suffering the indignities inflicted on them through the 70s and to a lessor extent to this day.

But leave it to a bunch of skinny jean wearing Kolig Kommies to make the whole thing about them instead. Them and their dumb flags, signs, slogans and trite logos... :roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

That doesn't mean they are discriminatory or intolerant, it simply means it's not for them. It's possible to disagree with an idea and NOT be intolerant of that idea.
That pretty much wraps this whole thing up and nothing more needs to be said. If someone doesn't understand that, they must live in a tormented world.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I don't like the new logo. To me, it has all the appeal of a multi-colored plastic tuba, or a "fun" painted Sousaphone bell. The font is bad, also. C'mon, try to preserve a little class or formality on this otherwise nice site. Tubas are noble instruments and deserve a dignified website. Hrruuummmmph!

Ace
Last edited by Ace on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNemo
bugler
bugler

Post by CaptainNemo »

I'm fine with the new logo, but the clashing of the black background with the sky blue everything else is a little hard on the eyes. Perhaps we could consider an (optional?) "dark mode", with white text on dark grey with the black in the background. If not, at least change the general palette to be less high-contrast.

While we're on the subject of redesigns, the other sections of this site (Library, Ensembles, Tips, etc) sorely need an update, both visually and content-wise. For example, the Arnold Jacobs lecture is still listed as "extremely large files" when clocking it at ~35MB, which suggests that nobody has made changes there since the days of dial-up.

Not a particularly urgent matter, but one I thought I should mention if we want this site to taken seriously by up-and-coming young tubists. I know from experience that many see the design of sites like this one and are driven away before perusing the content.
Miraphone 188 5V CC
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Post by TheodoreSmith »

CaptainNemo wrote:I'm fine with the new logo, but the clashing of the black background with the sky blue everything else is a little hard on the eyes. Perhaps we could consider an (optional?) "dark mode", with white text on dark grey with the black in the background. If not, at least change the general palette to be less high-contrast.

While we're on the subject of redesigns, the other sections of this site (Library, Ensembles, Tips, etc) sorely need an update, both visually and content-wise. For example, the Arnold Jacobs lecture is still listed as "extremely large files" when clocking it at ~35MB, which suggests that nobody has made changes there since the days of dial-up.

Not a particularly urgent matter, but one I thought I should mention if we want this site to taken seriously by up-and-coming young tubists. I know from experience that many see the design of sites like this one and are driven away before perusing the content.
As probably one of the yonger users of this website, I love the older BBS style forums, especially Tubanet, everythings simple and where it needs to be. I do agree tips and library need to be updated. I also thing there should be a light mode and a dark mode for us Phone users and online. I frequently get in heated debates with my friends on whether light mode or Dark mode is better :D I think more options will bring in more users.
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
CaptainNemo
bugler
bugler

Post by CaptainNemo »

TheodoreSmith wrote:I also thing there should be a light mode and a dark mode for us Phone users and online.
Oh God, yeah the mobile experience is miserable for this forum. Keeping in mind how many people use their phones for EVERYTHING nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a major factor keeping people away
Miraphone 188 5V CC
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

I was under the impression that Tubenet was for discussion of tuba/euphonium issues but was otherwise apolitical. I think the BLM movement is a good thing and am for a fair treatment of LBGT people, issues and opportunities. But being greeted with a huge BLM logo and "Tubenet" in rainbow colors is not being apolitical.

I'd like some clarification on this.

PS: I don't like the black borders. The sharp contrast wit the white writing area hurts my eyes.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

Mind, body, and spirit are intertwined. If one does unnatural and unhealthy things with his body and the bodies of others, it will affect the mind and spirit, also. This is why homosexuality is wrong. It's well-documented effect is to spread disease, depression, and suicide. Being against this does not make one a "hater". It is obviously about loving people and wanting a good, healthy life for everybody. Accepting peoples' self-destructive beliefs and practices does not make one "kind".
KKORO
bugler
bugler

Post by KKORO »

Before I make up my mind about the new logo, I'd like things to be perfectly clear.

The logo promotes gay rights? Yes or No.

The logo promotes Black Lives Matter? Yes or No.

Thanks, KorKoro
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

sweaty wrote:Mind, body, and spirit are intertwined. If one does unnatural and unhealthy things with his body and the bodies of others, it will affect the mind and spirit, also. This is why homosexuality is wrong. It's well-documented effect is to spread disease, depression, and suicide. Being against this does not make one a "hater". It is obviously about loving people and wanting a good, healthy life for everybody. Accepting peoples' self-destructive beliefs and practices does not make one "kind".
Once again, see? I am personally compelled to reply to this but.... This is a forum to discuss tuba and euphonium topics. This is not a forum to discuss sexualities. If that is what people want to discuss, go to a place where it is discussed.