Ability to edit posts

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Carnival of Venice
bugler
bugler

Ability to edit posts

Post by Carnival of Venice »

Anyone else having trouble editing posts? Can we no longer do that anymore?
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Re: Ability to edit posts

Post by brendanige »

Moving this to feedback. Farah changed it to a two hour time limit.
Carnival of Venice
bugler
bugler

And if we want to change price, information, etc?...
Carnival of Venice
bugler
bugler

What if we want to edit the post to show that somethings sold so we don't get people who don't read all of the replies messaging us?...
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

On another forum I am a member of, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/" target="_blank" target="_blank , once a classified has been on the board long enough to be outside the edit time limits, the OP sends a PM to the moderator to change details, for example, price drop. I have done this a couple of times for parts for sale. By shortening the time to edit posts, which is probably a good thing overall, are the moderators willing to take the extra time necessary to handle these requests?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Newer versions of phpBB allow for edit settings to vary per subforum and by post enumeration.

In other words, the first post of a thread can have unlimited edit access based on the forum/channel settings. Otherwise, you’re stuck with mods updating posts for others.

And, yeah, having used this forum to sell tubas 15+ years ago, I would get the occasional email from someone that didn’t read all the way through to see the Horn was sold (even though they resurrected a thread that was something like 7 years old).
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Carnival of Venice wrote:What if we want to edit the post to show that somethings sold so we don't get people who don't read all of the replies messaging us?...
excellent point. I changed the time to 1 week on editing posts.
sean chisham
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Thanks.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
TheZechman
bugler
bugler

Post by TheZechman »

Is there any chance we can leave the edit ability active in the For Sale forum? not being able to edit original prices/mouthpiece sale lists is a real PITA... :cry:
MZech1993@gmail.com
Eastman 836
Besson 984
USN
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

TheZechman wrote:Is there any chance we can leave the edit ability active in the For Sale forum? not being able to edit original prices/mouthpiece sale lists is a real PITA... :cry:
You should be able to edit your post for up to a week. Beyond that reply to your posting topic with any changes.
sean chisham
TheZechman
bugler
bugler

Post by TheZechman »

WoodSheddin wrote:
TheZechman wrote:Is there any chance we can leave the edit ability active in the For Sale forum? not being able to edit original prices/mouthpiece sale lists is a real PITA... :cry:
You should be able to edit your post for up to a week. Beyond that reply to your posting topic with any changes.

I understand that, but some of the longer threads/threads with numerous items for sale will get very annoying, and it was very convenient to change post titles for new prices/updates. 4 pages of bumps will make updating mouthpiece lists difficult to manage. I can understand the need for edit holds on threads where you don't want people going back years and getting rid of things they said (especially on the general chatting boards), but I was hoping to see a little more wiggle room on the sales page?
MZech1993@gmail.com
Eastman 836
Besson 984
USN
JPLynd
bugler
bugler

Post by JPLynd »

Didn't see this thread before writing my own post. Nor did I realize we could edit for the first week... Likely because of these two factors: If I want to edit my post, its likely to say something has sold, or its because I'm dropping the price - both of which are events that likely happen further than 1 week after the initial post. Things don't move that quickly usually, and I'm also not going to drop the price on something after less than 7 days of it being listed. The ability to edit for a week is not solving the pain point people keep commenting on in this thread, which is its a PITA to update items for sale now after they've sold and also difficult to publicize price drops on items that people have maybe already viewed initially but passed on.
Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" (Small Bell)
Miraphone Norwegian Star 283 Eb
Wessex CC Helicon

Gone but not forgotten :tuba:
MRP, YEB-321, 45SLZ, 188, 45SLP, 2155, 836, 5450RA, 56J, 853, 46, 410, 201N, 186