A suggestion--let's thank Sean and Farah for this site

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

A suggestion--let's thank Sean and Farah for this site

Post by Mikelynch »

(atypically ascending to soapbox--a view from the TN geezer side...)

TubeNet has been a valuable and entertaining resource for the low brass community for many (many) years. That value of TubeNet still exists, so long as we allow--and encourage--it to exist. Times change, perspectives change, management can change--virtually nothing is the same as it was 20 years ago (any old guy will tell you that). Sean and Farah have every right to adjust TubeNet according to their preferences.

Whatever the specific changes, Sean and Farah deserve: 1) our thanks for having provided TubeNet; and 2) our refraining from direct or indirect challenging, criticizing, ranting, speculation, [etc., etc.]. All of which could easily lead a reasonable person to ask themselves "why should I put up with this grief?" [though that could easily be expressed to oneself in more colorful terminology]. I suspect I might have reached that point a couple of days ago if I were in their position.

There is a line between substantive and polite feedback and a rant. I hope for the TubeNet community's sake, we can stay on the more positive side of the line--if we find ourselves wondering exactly where that line is, it's probably best to first look behind ourselves. If feedback concerns individuals, that can easily turn into personal attacks and defenses. Maybe if there are such issues that truly demand to be raised, perhaps direct PMs would be a best way to raise them. But really, how many low brass issues really demand such?

I don't necesarily know all of the changes, or the background for the changes; and I don't need to know. Sean and Farah owe me no explanation. But I do believe that I owe them gratitude for the platform they have provided, respect for their decisions, and freedom from complaints and criticism for following the direction they have chosen.

To the extent that the community utilizes this forum to discuss topics specific to tuba and euphonium (maybe a little bass trombone), and of course, the best valve oil, silver vs. lacquer, and brass vs. stainless steel, the forum can provide the same functions for which most of us visit here anyway.

I, like many others in these times (including many of you, I am sure), already have more negativity, uncertainty, anxiety [etc.] than I prefer to deal with. TubeNet can be a respite from all that--but it's up to the TN community.

(geezer now descending from soapbox) Commence flaming (though given the preceding paragraph, my attention to it may be limited).

Mike
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Re: A suggestion--let's thank Sean and Farah for this site

Post by kingrob76 »

Well put. I started to write a near identical post last night and never finished it - yours is better
Rob. Just Rob.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Thanks, Mike for putting things elegantly into perspective!

And Thanks Sean and Farah for keeping this site up and running for so long.

I have very much enjoyed being part of the community, even if i'm not very good at playing tuba, nor at taking things too seriously.

I will certainly wait for the whirlwind to die down and for the dust to settle before i make any lasting decisions about feeling included here.

Best,
-humBell
Thanks for playing!
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

appreciate the comments. I bump into people all the time who lurk and learn but never post who do post but seldom and enjoy the insights you and most others give.

no one was ever sanctioned for discussing music here. that is the mission of this website. the discussion of music in our small world everything from outsiders curious to beginners to students to amateurs and professionals. no one was ever sanctioned for discussing music here.

i would prefer discussions stay on topic. i do NOT believe TubeNet celebrities are a good thing. i have seen them on other forums and here and they are toxic to the free flow of conversation. sometimes they keep their modesty in check but most of the time arrogance wins over. i believe every individual here deserves a voice even if they registered this morning.

keep the musical conversations going. please don't speak over each other. you are not the most important person in the room. be kind.
sean chisham
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Thank you for all you have done. I won’t leave in a huff or a tizzy.
I’ll lurk, and pray that you and our country will come to understand the difference between support for civil rights and support for a cynical and corrupt political movement that calls itself Black Lives Matter.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

I appreciate everyone’s input and comments. I’m soaking all of them here and in other forums. I am listening and will be more engaged. My sincere hope is that everyone has a voice. Posts were only deleted by a few members with large amounts of posts (1 or 2 percent of the lists here is actually quite the number). I don’t delete posts by members requesting deactivation because then many of the threads do not make sense.

I won’t be deleting posts anymore. We all posts archived. I don’t know if they will ever be available to the readers. I do know there are some archived posts on the site under one of the links on the homepage of this site. They are a fun read.
--farah chisham