Siren Wiistles

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Siren Wiistles

Post by Chuck(G) »

What can anyone tell me about keeping the Acme Siren Whistle (the No. 147) working? In about 4 years, I've gone through two of these things--they're not used that much, but the bearings seem to go out rather quickly.

The symptom is that blowing through the whistle intermittently produces no sound. Cleaning, oiling, adjusting, etc. doesn't seem to matter at that point.

When the siren does work, I hear the noise of worn bearings.

Any suggestions? While not bank breakers, these things aren't cheap, either.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Siren Wiistles

Post by Dan Schultz »

Chuck(G) wrote:What can anyone tell me about keeping the Acme Siren Whistle (the No. 147) working? In about 4 years, I've gone through two of these things--they're not used that much, but the bearings seem to go out rather quickly.

The symptom is that blowing through the whistle intermittently produces no sound. Cleaning, oiling, adjusting, etc. doesn't seem to matter at that point.

When the siren does work, I hear the noise of worn bearings.

Any suggestions? While not bank breakers, these things aren't cheap, either.
Here's their advertisment....
The ACME siren whistle is the finest quality siren whistle that you will ever find. This pro model siren whistle is made in England with durable heavy chrome plating for a lifetime of use. The pitch is a very "deep" tone, sure to get you noticed. Unlike the plastic "toy" whistles that abound, this ACME pro siren whistle will last forever, providing a recognizable sound that all will enjoy!

Sounds to me like you should demand a replacement!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

True -- if Acme says that they'll last forever, then they should.

It's still by far the best siren whistle on the market -- or at least the best of the accessible siren whistles. My dad's still got the one that we bought for him 15-20 years ago.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

TubaTinker wrote: This pro model siren whistle is made in England with durable heavy chrome plating for a lifetime of use. The pitch is a very "deep" tone, sure to get you noticed. Unlike the plastic "toy" whistles that abound, this ACME pro siren whistle will last forever, providing a recognizable sound that all will enjoy!
Well, both of mine have been nickel-plated, not chrome or even chromium. I'll drop them a note to see what they say. I have a suspicion that their ad copy is way out of date.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Chuck(G) wrote:
TubaTinker wrote: This pro model siren whistle is made in England with durable heavy chrome plating for a lifetime of use. The pitch is a very "deep" tone, sure to get you noticed. Unlike the plastic "toy" whistles that abound, this ACME pro siren whistle will last forever, providing a recognizable sound that all will enjoy!
Well, both of mine have been nickel-plated, not chrome or even chromium. I'll drop them a note to see what they say. I have a suspicion that their ad copy is way out of date.
Acme's web site is but a click away!

http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/

Maybe they forgot the chrome AND the bearings in yours!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

TubaTinker wrote:Acme's web site is but a click away!

http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/
Cool! Now if I only had a pet so I could submit my own story for the dog whistle page... ;)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Well, just in case you were wondering, Hudson does not respond to emails. After three, not even an acknowledgement.

So much for fancy words and an inviting website.
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

The given frequencies and samples are very much in the audible range for a normal human ear. Can't understand the statements of the maker. To me it sounds like an attempt to swindle the population.
Lars