Students: What's your 9-5?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Well, I am actually in school from at least 9-6 most days (not to mention many many nights) so a "9-5" would be a physical impossibility. Between academic scholarships and music scholarships for playing in different ensembles (some of which tour), my tuition is more than covered; student loans cover married housing and other expenses. I make a few thou a year from teaching lessons and gigs "in my spare time" to further supplement.
My wife and I discussed this when I first went back to school - I actually make MORE money by keeping my average above 3.7 and by playing in ensembles than if I was working at Dominos or McDonalds. This is an important point to consider - would you rather spend your hours studying, practicing, and performing, or working for minimum wage somewhere you probably don't have a future? Look for schools that will pay you for playing and for grades. Spend your hours where they will impact your future the most.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Stefan
bugler
bugler

Post by Stefan »

Well, I am not in college anymore, but to pay for it I worked at Chi Chi's waiting tables and busing. Just a few nights on weekends and more during the summer. I guess I could have gotten a ton of school loans, but now I am glad I didn't. If you need to work while in school, wait tables. Pays much more than min wage. And you will have an appreciation for tipping for the rest of your life.

Stefan
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Work-Study

Post by ThomasP »

I was granted work study my first two years at a senior university. I went to junior college for two years as well. I worked in the Band office and the College's Dean's office helping out the secretary, its minimum wage, but its convienient and very flexible. The down side is that you have to be eliglble for it because its a federal program and you fill out the FAFSA, which every student should know about. I enjoyed it while it lasted, I didn't get it this year, and I'm surviving, though sparingly.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

When I was in college I delivered newspapers... 7 days a week up at 3:30 or 4am.. even in the dead of winter when it was 20 below. If I wanted to have a day off I had to pay someone to cover my route, which usually meant a little extra out of pocket. I think I made about $160 a week cash for about 18 hours work(and 30 miles a day on my car). Adjusted to 2004 dollars, that's probably about $165 a week. My girlfriend or roommate would come with me on weekends and I'd get the Saturday(big) paper out in less time than I did the weekly paper(about 50% more people to deliver to, too)

The plus side? I NEVER had work schedule conflicts. I had to show discipline with my sleep schedule, but when it got to the time of year where I was having 5 or 6 gigs a week and multiple evening rehearsals, I didn't have to bother a boss with schedule changes, etc. Going out of town there were ALWAYS people eager to pick up an extra route.. and on holidays there were ALWAYS people eager to give up their route. I even got my picture in the paper one day, with a nice little article that basically said everything this post says.
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

the elephant wrote:I always work some straight job for a few months each year to keep me in touch with reality.

Wade
I think that's GREAT! So many 'musicians' spend their careers finding things to criticise in their own profession..conductors, contemporary composers, popular music, the "uneducated" public, etc. It's refreshing to see another tubist who makes a point of appreciating not only what they do, but LIFE in general. Kudos!
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

Sorry Joe, you're late... you should have taken that bait a month ago! :lol: