Unasked Questions

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Unasked Questions

Post by timayer »

BrassedOn wrote:
I have my first Oktoberfest gig coming up. The band gets free beer. Any unintended outcomes I should know about?
I did an Oktoberfest gig for several years. Two nights a year. The first year I did it, it was "the band gets free beer" on the first night. The next night it was "Everyone in the band gets two beers." The next year it was "Everyone in the band gets one beer."

They then hired a very generous bartender who enforced the one beer policy but would fill whatever it was that you brought as long as it generally resembled a beer vessel. They undoubtedly donated more beer to the band with their "single" beer policy than they did with their "two" beer policy.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
Three Valves wrote:That reminds me of when leaded gas cost less than unleaded gas. All they had to do was not put something in and charge more for it.
:roll:
Well, in this particular case, no. The purpose of tetraethyl lead was to increase the octane rating of lesser quality gasoline. Take the average 87 pump octane gasoline. Lead added about 5 to 10 points to the pump octane rating, so if the lead were not in the gasoline, it would only be about 80 to 85 octane at best. So, to get the same octane rating out of unleaded gasoline, refiners had to put more effort into their refining, raising costs of production. Add to that the government mandate, and the lesser availability initially, and all of that points to a higher price for unleaded gasoline initially.
<sidebar>
Octane and mpg are not the same thing, and this contradicts no one's statements.
</sidebar>
It has nothing to do with MPG. It has to do with compression ratios and knocking.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

“I hear you knocking....”

https://youtu.be/uWktoG5DU_4" target="_blank

Wow, talk about a bad hair AND pants day!! :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Three Valves wrote:“I hear you knocking....”
https://youtu.be/uWktoG5DU_4" target="_blank" target="_blank
Wow, talk about a bad hair AND pants day!! :shock:
But leaded gasoline can't come in.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I never ask “why??”
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:Those plastic tubas are nearly lead-free...Yes...??
:roll:
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K