Starting to play again-need tuba and ensemble advice

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Beardedcyclist
lurker
lurker

Starting to play again-need tuba and ensemble advice

Post by Beardedcyclist »

I played pretty seriously in college for a while, but when I switch from studying music to engineering, I no longer had time or access to a tuba (I always played school-owned instruments). It’s been about 8 years since I seriously played (I’ve borrowed a tuba for a few weeks here and there over the years). I’m finally at a point in my life where I can afford a tuba and am home often enough that I’d be able to play it. I’m leaning towards getting an Eb, because I love playing solo literature and wouldn’t enjoy playing in any of the various community bands or orchestras I’m likely to be able to join that would warrant getting a CC or BBb.

Any ideas on the type of tuba I should get? I’m most comfortable with BBb and Eb, but I can also play a CC. Also, any suggestions on finding decent groups I could play with-smaller ensembles or decent orchestras would be ideal.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Starting to play again-need tuba and ensemble advice

Post by TheTuba »

wrong forum, buddy
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
tubasoldier
lurker
lurker

Post by tubasoldier »

If it's the wrong forum mods will move it and I see no reason to get upset at anyone for it.

Anyways, I was a music major for a few years and ended up as an engineer. I recently started playing again and have rather enjoyed it. Although, I have to say that my community band isn't as good as I would hope. But, on the flip side I'm not nearly as good as I used to be.

So good luck on picking up a horn again. Don't be upset if someone doesn't want to play with you because you aren't as good as you used to be. Get back to it and practice. Sometimes you start with what you can get and move on from there. If I were in your position I would most likely find a cheaper (not necessarily low quality) BBb tuba. Used tubas are just fine and most of the older horns play quite nicely. You can always sell it and pick up an Eb later if your opportunities move you towards smaller ensembles and solo work. But really, its all up to you and what you want out of playing your horn again. Good luck!
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Beardedcyclist wrote:Also, any suggestions on finding decent groups I could play with-smaller ensembles or decent orchestras would be ideal.
A couple ideas --

Find local holiday events and see if there's a band playing. And I mean "holiday" in the broadest sense of the word -- Easter, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc. Go watch them and then chat them up afterwards.

Call up the band directors at your local schools. Chances are they know about, or play in, community groups on the side.

Since it's December -- if there's a Tubachristmas near you, go there and talk to people. Talk to the older ones, not the kids.

Also, there's a website out there that has lists of community bands and orchestras, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it is. But you can get far by just searching for "__your state or city___ community bands" online.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Bearin' up!
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

I second the TubaChristmas idea as a first contact. They're happening now, so move fast.
Oooo. I looked there, and 8 out of the 10 long-established groups I have played with over the last two decades are not on the list. And there are others on the list which I know are not "bring your horn" groups, but near-professional groups with limited openings and audition requirements.

Also agree that local HS and Jr. HS band directors are a good place to start. Plus, 2-year "junior" colleges frequently have community bands so they can build groups with enough "meat" to give students the opportunity to perform larger works than would be possible with a students-only group at a small school.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

From personal experience, playing etudes and running through solo pieces and play-along CD books runs out of gas after awhile. Unless you know someone who can accompany you on piano, lots of the solo lit isn't going to be too much fun after awhile because it will have big silent holes in it. I play in a community string orchestra which is fun but I have to sit around and count measures a lot or, frequently, I get to go home early because there is no tuba part. I also play in a large concert band which is quite good and the music is challenging. If you have a college nearby, maybe ask someone there if they know of a group which would fit you. "Amateur" orchestras can be humorous at times because the members can think pretty highly of themselves and act a little snootier than reality deserves. If the conductor insists on being called "maestro", put your horn back in the case and go drink beer. It will be more fun.

Buy any sort of a horn you want but, unless you get a really, really good one with four valves, cheap 3v Eb horns kind of run out of gas three ledger lines below the staff and sound like ***. Even a 3v BBb 3/4 student model will sound better than a cheap Eb in that range. How do I know? I have a cheap Eb and a 3v BBb 3/4 student model. The Eb is light and I can take it places like basketball pep bands and Tuba Christmas but I am not going to turn myself into Oystein Baasvick playing it. I also have a Olds 099-4 3/4 BBb 4v horn which is very nice. It can be played in tune easily, sounds as good as one might expect a 3/4 horn to sound in all ranges and has the ability to sound really good in that range three ledger lines down and lower. If you get a screamingly good deal on a CC horn and want one, have a ball. Baltimore Brass has a Piggy in good shape for $1900. Deals on BBb will be more plentiful. And, if you don't mind going the Chinese route, new BBb and CC horns can be had at around the $2K level. The quality of the recent Chinese horns can be good and some of the vendors stand behind them quite well.

If you find a horn, don't get one that needs to be "fixed up" because they are very expensive. Get one that is ready to go as is.

Aloha.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

Beardedcyclist wrote:I played pretty seriously in college for a while, but when I switch from studying music to engineering, I no longer had time or access to a tuba (I always played school-owned instruments). It’s been about 8 years since I seriously played (I’ve borrowed a tuba for a few weeks here and there over the years). I’m finally at a point in my life where I can afford a tuba and am home often enough that I’d be able to play it. I’m leaning towards getting an Eb, because I love playing solo literature and wouldn’t enjoy playing in any of the various community bands or orchestras I’m likely to be able to join that would warrant getting a CC or BBb.

Any ideas on the type of tuba I should get? I’m most comfortable with BBb and Eb, but I can also play a CC. Also, any suggestions on finding decent groups I could play with-smaller ensembles or decent orchestras would be ideal.
Welcome back to TUBA. I'm also an engineer - took a similar route back to tuba after I graduated college, but I play in both small ensembles and community band so I use a 4/4 size BBb as my do-it-all. I'm no EEb expert, but my advice for these points will depend on if you like rotary valves, and where you're located. As someone who started college in the music department, I expect that you already have some idea about sound concepts and valve types that will impact your purchase.

It's also really hard for people on this forum to suggest groups without knowing where you're located. We have members here all over the world, so somebody is likely to know of a group near you who could use another player.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I wouldn't be super excited about playing in those community bands etc., either, though not necessarily for the same reasons - but I expect I might go there anyway, because where else are you going to find other players? You probably need a brass quintet or something, once you are back in shape, and you'll have to round up the trumpets and trombones somewhere.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I went through first an F and then a CC (spent quite a bit of time on that one) and then ended up on Eb as the perfect fit for me. Mine is plenty big enough to play in a community orchestra, which I happen to like to do. I don't like community bands on tuba anyway. British brass band if you can find one IS a lot of fun. And when you get your chops back, quintet and TE quartet should be on the menu.
Lotsa engineers here, and in general in brass sections. Me too.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Welcome back to the TUBA!

Where are you located? We may know of some good sources for tubas near you- or check out the TubeNet Sponsors page.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

Ditto the congratulations on your return to playing. I did fine for nearly 20 years with just a compensating Eb. An Eb compensator or 5+ valve is a good all-around choice: high notes without too much strain and decent low notes. Also ditto the advice on checking out community groups for the fellowship and contacts.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC