Eb Besson sovereign 'stuffy' mid range

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
slim_tut
lurker
lurker

Eb Besson sovereign 'stuffy' mid range

Post by slim_tut »

Over the last few years I've borrowed 3 or 4 EEb sov's (eventually managed to buy my own tuba, an early 80s B&h imperial, that i love)

Anyways. The sovs that I've borrowed, I have noticed that certain notes in the mid range (between Bb and Eb, around C³) sound very stuffy. For 2 of them ot was just the C, and for the current one it's practically the entire range mentioned (not the open harmonics but everything in between)

Is this a feature of the sovereign specifically, or just the idiosyncrasies of the instruments I have used?

I have noticed that the specific problematic range I mentioned has a wonderful tone when played with the 4th valve down (effectively using Bb fingering) on this specific horn, but am just wondering about others experience

Thanks for any help
B&H Imperial EEb, 1981 ; Christian Reisser Bb sousaphone

The ideal amount of tubas is n+1

How many tubists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 3. One to hold it up, the other 2 to drink until the world starts spinning!
Yane
bugler
bugler

Re: Eb Besson sovereign 'stuffy' mid range

Post by Yane »

These horns are quite variable and “quirky”. I have a 1979 example that I recently put out to pasture, I didn’t realize how hard i was working until I got a different horn. To address your problem maybe try thicker valve oil for a better seal, and align your valves. Those steps were helpful for me.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
chucknberry
lurker
lurker

Post by chucknberry »

slim_tut wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:32 pm Over the last few years I've borrowed 3 or 4 EEb sov's (eventually managed to buy my own tuba, an early 80s B&h imperial, that i love)

Anyways. The sovs that I've borrowed, I have noticed that certain notes in the mid range (between Bb and Eb, around ) sound very stuffy. For 2 of them ot was just the C, and for the current one it's practically the entire range mentioned (not the open harmonics but everything in between)

Is this a feature of the sovereign specifically, or just the idiosyncrasies of the instruments I have used?

I have noticed that the specific problematic range I mentioned has a wonderful tone when played with the 4th valve down (effectively using Bb fingering) on this specific horn, but am just wondering about others experience

Thanks for any help
It's possible that the stuffiness you're experiencing in the mid-range of the EEb Sovs you've used is due to certain design features or manufacturing inconsistencies specific to those particular instruments. Without examining the instruments and hearing you play on them, it's difficult to say for sure what the exact cause of the stuffiness is. If previous advice did not help you it might be worth seeking out the opinion of a qualified brass technician who can help diagnose the issue and provide guidance on how to address it.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Welcome to the world of Besson tubas. Try a Wick mouthpiece, 1, 2, or 3, depending on your preferred cup diameter, that has a large throat, to help with the stuffiness. On my 3-valve BBb comp I used to own, 1+3 C above open low BBb was stuffy, but low F below open BBb was not. Perfectly in tune, but stuffy. Go figure.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.