Finale

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Chuck(G) wrote:Hmmm...

Call it a crutch for dummies, but it really is nice to have a package that already knows about Euph TC and BC, F horn and brass band notation and such. Too bad sibelius doesn't output anything (except MIDI) that Lillypond or anything else understands.
So which is it that understands Euph TC? I just wrote a short march for brass band, and my Finale 2002b did not have a brass band template.....so I had to make one up, score the alto parts for horn in F and transpose when I was done, same for the euphs in TC. The tubas were very happy to have BC so I didn't have to mess with that. Pain in the rear.

MA
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Chuck(G) wrote: Call it a crutch for dummies, but it really is nice to have a package that already knows about Euph TC and BC, F horn and brass band notation and such. Too bad sibelius doesn't output anything (except MIDI) that Lillypond or anything else understands.
Lilipond does underestand several formats, and could easily be "taught" more. The hard part would be going back. Getting the docs on the formats is the hardpart.

That said, I actually like lilypond format. The new emacs and vim modes make it even easier. But like with LaTeX, setting up a good set of macros goes long way. I have a "lab report" setup in latex tha made using it easier than any GUI tool. Tables and graphs were easily added as you wrote, with simple delimeters. LaTeX took care of the real work, un like all the GUI tools. Auto sizing graphs and tables and automatic referencing make most reports take 20 minutes.

Similar can be done wuith lilypond. So you write in one pitch, and the different instruments are automatically transposed correctly. There's something in the documentation on that.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

MaryAnn wrote: So which is it that understands Euph TC? I just wrote a short march for brass band, and my Finale 2002b did not have a brass band template.....so I had to make one up, score the alto parts for horn in F and transpose when I was done, same for the euphs in TC. The tubas were very happy to have BC so I didn't have to mess with that. Pain in the rear.
Sibelius has the brass band instrument templates (as you would expect from a package that originates in Europe). With a tuba euph ensemble where some of the euphs don't read BC and the others don't read TC, it's been a real bonus.