POLAR VORTEX what's the lowest temp you've experienced

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: POLAR VORTEX what's the lowest temp you've experienced

Post by bisontuba »

Religion? LMAO...
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bisontuba wrote:Religion? LMAO...
“The end is nigh...” :lol:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think "climate change" is such an old fashioned way to say it.

Its 2019, folks... it should be "climate reassignment."

:roll: :P
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

“Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough For Love 1973
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Actual temperature this morning: -29

I think we will top out at -15 today, then back to the -30s tonight.

Everything is closed, no reason to go out.

"Still 72 degrees inside..."
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

bloke wrote:
Three Valves wrote:“The end is nigh...” :lol:
yes. precisely this mentality ↑ :roll:

religionesque-tainted science...the very same sort of nonsense (RCC-tainted science...and with the same sort of coercive threats attached to it) with which Galileo had to contend during his own lifetime

Eventually, the steps, 'consensus' and 'settled', will be added to the Scientific Method, I'm quite certain... :(

...so here's my "vortex"...and today is THE WORST DAY of this earth-ending catastrophe, yes? OK...I'm located "south", but not particularly south. It's a LONG day's drive to the Gulf coast, and an ambitious TWO day drive to Key West or South Padre. :| For those who enjoy daily high temps ranging from c. 10° - 30° during Jan.-Feb., well...those folks live where they live, (apparently) choose to believe what they believe, embrace their groups of beliefs as "science", and label old-school skeptics (as skepticism is the foundation of true science) all sorts of demeaning sorts of names.
Once again Bloke demonstrates uncanny perspicacity. If only those self-appointed 'experts' and pseudo-'scientists' whose 'advanced' degrees were obtained from similar quacks could do the same. Some theories can't be proven, only lobbied for, and that ain't science; it's just advocacy.
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

gwwilk wrote:
bloke wrote:
Three Valves wrote:“The end is nigh...” :lol:
yes. precisely this mentality ↑ :roll:

religionesque-tainted science...the very same sort of nonsense (RCC-tainted science...and with the same sort of coercive threats attached to it) with which Galileo had to contend during his own lifetime

Eventually, the steps, 'consensus' and 'settled', will be added to the Scientific Method, I'm quite certain... :(

...so here's my "vortex"...and today is THE WORST DAY of this earth-ending catastrophe, yes? OK...I'm located "south", but not particularly south. It's a LONG day's drive to the Gulf coast, and an ambitious TWO day drive to Key West or South Padre. :| For those who enjoy daily high temps ranging from c. 10° - 30° during Jan.-Feb., well...those folks live where they live, (apparently) choose to believe what they believe, embrace their groups of beliefs as "science", and label old-school skeptics (as skepticism is the foundation of true science) all sorts of demeaning sorts of names.
Once again Bloke demonstrates uncanny perspicacity. If only those self-appointed 'experts' and pseudo-'scientists' whose 'advanced' degrees were obtained from similar quacks could do the same. Some theories can't be proven, only lobbied for, and that ain't science; it's just advocacy.
I just want to make myself clear.

The religious-like zeal of the Usual Suspects, Global Climate Change is just one of their latest catechisms, amuses me.

The climate has always changed and it always will. Even if our own contribution has been underestimated in the past, no amount of income confiscation, redistribution, genuflecting or tossing virgins into the volcano will do one thing to stop it.

Not a “science denier” I am simply a skeptic.

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

nworbekim wrote:Low tonight 0 to 7 with wind chills at - 10 to - 15. After all of this there's a warm up and we're looking at 64f Monday! I have some antenna work that needs to be done, i was going to wait until April, but maybe....

Crazy weather!
The windows in my wife’s convertible are already frozen shut!! :shock:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

bloke wrote:psst...!!!
MILITARY SECRET: The super-secret unknown-to-even-the-FBI-and-CIA military forces suspect that the culprit to be blamed for virtually all measurable weather and climate variations (other than catastrophic asteroid impacts) is the "that thing that Galileo's nemeses identified as rotating around the earth"... ☀️
Nailed it again! Image
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Keep drinking the koolaid guys....
Mark

Post by Mark »

So, I am probably further north than almost all of you in the USA. The sun has been down about 30 minutes and the outdoor temperature is +48 F. That's right plus 48! Isn't nature interesting?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Mark wrote:So, I am probably further north than almost all of you in the USA. The sun has been down about 30 minutes and the outdoor temperature is +48 F. That's right plus 48! Isn't nature interesting?
It was a beautifully sunny day today in Minneapolis. It didnt get above -15, but bright sunshine. I think the sun was broken today. :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

bort wrote:
Mark wrote:So, I am probably further north than almost all of you in the USA. The sun has been down about 30 minutes and the outdoor temperature is +48 F. That's right plus 48! Isn't nature interesting?
It was a beautifully sunny day today in Minneapolis. It didnt get above -15, but bright sunshine. I think the sun was broken today. :P
Yeah, in Minnesota it's not the 9 months of winter that gets you. It's the other 3 months of winter. I'm just east of Seattle and about two degrees of latitude further north than Minneapolis. It was a sunny day here also. At 6:30 pm it's 46 degrees with a low of 37 predicted overnight. :tuba:
Last edited by Mark on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Polar Vortex my fat ***!!

When I was young, and the temperature was well below freezing for several days, we called it a “cold snap” :roll:

In the Summer, if it was 100+ for a few days, it was a “heat wave!!” 8)

https://youtu.be/Xt-LaMmKRec" target="_blank
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bisontuba wrote:Keep drinking the koolaid guys....
Your sins of privilege can only be forgiven by indulgences (Carbon offset/tax) and confession.

Confess your sins, Privileged Brother!! :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

We were on a Star Clipper cruise. (Nice, baby!!)

A North American guest asked the Georgian (former USSR State) Captain about how efficient our square rigged vessel was. He said it is a power vessel. But while it sails down wind 5% of the time, it is 100% efficient!!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I think the coldest i faced was in the minus teens f but i was in elementary school and think i got confused about this whole minus 40 windchill. I should ask my brother. We walked a short distance outside, and i complained about the wind whipping through the hole in my facemask hat thing. He suggested i run home to get there faster, but i wasn't so sure, as that would have added to the wind i experienced...

Heading up to Minnesota tomorrow, or at least that is the plan.

Just in time to miss all the excitement. Was this vortex a cyclone? Or an anticyclone?
Thanks for playing!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bloke wrote:It snowed today at the army conference. Everyone died, but fortunately there was a graveyard nearby.
So (there's that word again), does that mean you're posting from the grave? :twisted:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

bloke wrote:It snowed today at the army conference. Everyone died, but fortunately there was a graveyard nearby.
Wait a minute...

If everyone died... who posted this?
Thanks for playing!