my crappy university

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

my crappy university

Post by smurphius »

so. i play tuba. go to college. right? right. our school is vastly trying to move to the world of online everything, moving away from all the massive amounts of paper that they have used for so many years past. the system works okay throughout normal times during the year, but then.... THEN!! when registration, or grades come out, which can be done completely online, every server on the campus crashes!!! ALL I WANT IS MY GRADES!!!!!!!!! they just don't know how to make tuba players happy, huh? :lol:
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

(His) Crappy University

Post by TubaRay »

I don't know. Not receiving your grades could be a good thing. I guess that would depend on what kind of grades you are expecting.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

When I was in college (graduated in 2001), we had a TERRIBLE online registration/account management service. I showed a friend of mine who was a computer science major at RIT in Rochester and he laughed like crazy. It was one of the worst designed services I have ever seen. The service was soooooo bad (how bad was it?) that even though I could access the service from off campus, it was sooooo slow that it was practically unusable. Screens would refresh in MINUTES....not seconds. You had to be on campus in order to use it FAIRLY well. Even then it was brutal. That was my first complaint.

Secondly, our campus had dorm T1 internet access which is quite typical. Our T1 service was AWFUL!!!! Some days it was as slow as dial-up. It bugged me so much that one day I called the computer office and complained. They said that I should be happy with the service since we don't pay for it. WHAT DO YOU CALL $32,000 PER YEAR?!?!?!? All they could say was "uh uh uhhhhh uh...hmmm...uhhh..." Just as I thought, CHIMPS running the computer department.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

TubaTodd wrote: Just as I thought, CHIMPS running the computer department.
Maybe they thought that if they put a hundred chimps in a room on a hundred OS/2 computers, they'd write some working code.
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

Leland wrote:Maybe they thought that if they put a hundred chimps in a room on a hundred OS/2 computers, they'd write some working code.
I was quite surprised that the chimps we had even what the internet was. I suppose I should give credit for that. :D
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Paul S »

TubaTodd wrote:When I was in college (graduated in 2001), we had a TERRIBLE online registration/account management service. I showed a friend of mine who was a computer science major at RIT in Rochester and he laughed like crazy. .
I remember doing my registration at University the year it went high tech instead of paper registration and started using a new computer system where we used a punch card. Of course back then when I wrote a computer program I had to carry a few shoe boxes full of them to the new high tech computer lab too. That new Fortran language back then looked interesting... Boy I am getting old!
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

We did ours by phone (Electronic Automated Student Information (EASI) system, or something else by that acronym), and somehow, it actually worked.

The funny thing was that the voice was a local man, and whenever he spoke within earshot of any university student, they'd go, "Hey, aren't you the EASI guy?" People would approach him at the grocery checkout line & places like that.