The Star Spangled Banner

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I don't know if I'd go that far -- she was probably scared "wordless", you could say. She probably had choir classes in school, and/or some private instruction (or maybe just sang great at family events).

Worse, though -- I just saw a brief clip of Roseanne Barr's infamous Banner performance at a baseball game years ago. That... ugh, I'm glad I wasn't there. I would've wasted a beer by throwing it at her.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Speaking of the national anthem.
Does anyone know if the arrangment John Williams wrote for the Rose Bowl game which was played by the Michigan and USC bands is available? We need a new arr. for next fall and that would be a good wone to get.

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Does anyone know the words to the ORIGINAL old drinking tune from which the current popular version of The Star Spangled Banner was derived?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Does anyone but me think it's interesting that "Anacreon " is in 6/4 (duple time) but the SSB is in 3/4?

I've always thought of it more as a march than a waltz. I can certainly march to it easier than I can waltz to it.

(You really don't want to see me do either). :lol:
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

Chuck(G) wrote:Does anyone but me think it's interesting that "Anacreon " is in 6/4 (duple time) but the SSB is in 3/4?

I've always thought of it more as a march than a waltz. I can certainly march to it easier than I can waltz to it.
The only theory I have is that a drum major would rather conduct in 3 than in 6.
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton