My tuba-friendly car!

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

My tuba-friendly car!

Post by Leland »

Quite off-topic (although it's a great tuba-carrying car), and hopefully less controversial than what we've been going on about lately, here's the latest pictures of my car. Am I weird for going to the top of a parking garage & whipping out the digicam & tripod for twilight pics? ;)

2002 Honda Civic Si (no, it's not the hybrid engine), almost entirely stock, obviously, except for a few things --

No more i-VTEC stickers;
A couple USMC-related insignia;
"Euro'ed" front license plate;
Type-R style shift knob;
CTR boot (thanks raiyo);
Occasionally, rubber floormats;
Original 1986 Si badge from my old car (its rear window was busted in a smash-n-grab, and the badge was left by the curb);

(and the good stuff)
Rota Circuit 8 16" wheels, 205/50-16 Kumho 711 tires;
RSX-S rear sway bar;
Mugen Sports Suspension.

The wheels & suspension all were done within the past month, and I tell ya, the car's a blast to drive now. It was fun before, but now, in the words of 97 TYPE-R 312 at EPHatch.com, "What was once your 'baby' is now going to be your 'b**ch'."

:D

Leland Jordon
Sgt, USMC
Marine Barracks, Washington, DC

Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

schlepporello wrote:One thing I'll say right off the bat, your photography skills are a lot better than mine. If I do a good job of composition, it's by accident.
Thanks -- I'm sure that my mom was a strong influence, having been an art teacher & church banner designer, and still doing all sorts of publishing projects, stone carvings, sometimes paintings (got one hanging in my place, and one by my dad, who never painted in earnest before the two of 'em went to a spa in Cali), and who knows what else.

At least with a digital camera I don't feel like I'm wasting film by trying thirty or forty shots...
I assume that you fold down your back seat and lay the tuba in the back, am I correct? Nice car, good job on fixin' her up.
With the case, yup, the seats get folded down. Un-cased (never mind the other threads -- THAT's a sin! ;) ), I just put it in the back, cushioned by a gym bag & blanket, and covered by the seats & cargo cover.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Doc wrote:That's a really sharp car. Sweet photography, too. Now, if I could only get one like that that is tuba, string bass, amp, and speaker friendly all at the same time....
Doc
Sounds like a job for a wagon.
sean chisham
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

A convertible will work for short distances.
You might call this a "souzie sled".

Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Rubber-Ducko wrote:Oh, nice car, I didnt really thought that Honda's can be that pretty, I was wrong there...
Hehe... thanks, but even with the wheels & the drop given by the Mugen suspension, Honda gets the credit. It's pretty easy to make this car look good, I'd say.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

carolyn catton wrote:was thinking of a diesel jetta/golf.
They should be pretty similar -- the Jetta being roughly like the Civic sedan, and the Golf being like the Civic hatch, except that the Golf has four side doors. The VW GTi is a closer equivalent to the Civic Si, but obviously not diesel.

If at all possible, take your tuba case along when you look at the cars in person. That's how my family decided on a Honda Civic wagon back in '89 or so.