Doc's "Advice For A Tubenet Newbie"

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

schlepporello wrote:The place: Mt Rushmore entry gate
The holiday: Memorial Day
What I was carrying: A Raven 25 ACP in my pocket
A Springfield Armory 1911-A1 45 ACP under my seat.
You weren't driving, by chance, an old Mt. Prospect Police car with a cop motor, a four hundred and forty-cubic-inch plant. Cop springs. Cop shocks. Cop suspension. Cop tires. Made before catalytic converters (so it runs on regular gas)
Last edited by windshieldbug on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

windshieldbug wrote:
You weren't driving, by chance, an old Mt. Prospect Police car with a cop motor, a four hundred and forty-cubic-inch plant. Cop springs. Cop shocks. Cop suspension. Cop tires. Made before catalytic converters (so it runs on regular gas)
...with a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, dark and wearing sunglasses? Or something like that - the direct quote would get the grammar Nazi after me as in its original context it would be a non-sequitur.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Fix the cigarette lighter.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Almost had a similar situation last week. About a month ago my family went camping in the Smoky Mountains. I have a hefty solid stainless steel (really) hatchet that has a hammer on the opposite side of the blade. Great for one handed firewood chopping or using the hammer side to drive tentpegs, but potentially very lethal. I locked it in a secure storage compartment at the end of the trip to keep it away from the kids, but then forgot about it. WHen I went looking for it last week, it wasn't there. My wife said, oh, she needed to put the camera in the locking compartment, so she just slipped the hatchet right under the driver's seat, I should be able to reach down and pull it out. :shock:
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubaguy9 »

Doc Said:
#10. It is perfectly acceptable, and widely appreciated, to post pictures of food, beer, etc. at any given point. No relationship to the thread is necessary.
Well...I'm not sure if that's an okay rule now...check one of the forum areas, and he (Sean) asks that we don't do that now :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think I might end up as a grumpy old man when I get old...
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Captain Sousie »

Again, nothing was said about smilies

I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

harold wrote: 20. Just because you are new doesn't mean that you need to post on EVERY single thread on the BBS. To quote the Elephant "STFU", pay attention and read a bit before you start typing. Don't give some of us an opportunity to hand you your *** on a plate for being stupid.

21. Just because you have a randon thought doesn't mean that you should share it with the rest of us. Don't always listen to the voices in your head that are telling you to post.

22. This is "Tubenet". It discusses tubas. We really don't give a **** about other instruments - other than appropriate doublers - so take your questions about bass flutes and ultralow recorders to another forum. Generally speaking, we have nothing good to say about woodwinds UNLESS we are sleeping with the hot chick that plays them - and even then, we are only doing so long enough to get her naked.
Ahh to be young again! Wait, I thought this thread was locked! Kinda reminds of when "LoyalTubist" signed up and responded to almost every post in one weekend!

Tim :D
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

posting guidelines

Post by TubaRay »

the elephant wrote:
trseaman wrote:Kinda reminds of when "LoyalTubist" signed up and responded to almost every post in one weekend!
He posted over 100 times in one night! Impressive. I watched them accumulate because I have no life . . .
That was impressive, wasn't it?
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
trseaman
4 valves
4 valves

Re: posting guidelines

Post by trseaman »

TubaRay wrote:
the elephant wrote:
trseaman wrote:Kinda reminds of when "LoyalTubist" signed up and responded to almost every post in one weekend!
He posted over 100 times in one night! Impressive. I watched them accumulate because I have no life . . .
Yep... And now he's off in another country sharing more great experiences! Who doesn't want to know more about Vietnam???

TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Re: posting guidelines

Post by TubaRay »

trseaman wrote:
TubaRay wrote:
the elephant wrote: He posted over 100 times in one night! Impressive. I watched them accumulate because I have no life . . .
Yep... And now he's off in another country sharing more great experiences! Who doesn't want to know more about Vietnam???
Yeah. Who?
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I think the colors blue and green sharing the same word in the Vietnamese language is fascinating.

I have green eyes. When I flew here to Saigon, I broke my glasses. I went to an optical shop and bought a new pair. I bought a pair of blue frames.

"Oh," the optometrist said, "They go with your blue eyes!"

"I have green eyes."

"Same word in Vietnamese."

:lol:

They differentiate them by saying:

Green as the grass.

Blue as the sky.

Post by windshieldbug »

But how do you say blue/green? How do they know you're not just stuttering?
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

You really believe those guys when they tell you blue and green are the same ?
We pronounce it Guf Coast
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I will get back with you on this.

Most Vietnamese people have brown eyes, so they don't worry about it.

Incidentally, Hanh just bought some shampoo for me this weekend while I was at work. She only paid attention to the brand but not what it was.

It was this:

My hair is brown and this shampoo REALLY WORKS! It is getting darker every time I use it. And my formerly WHITE beard is now grayish.

For any teenaged boy who is embarassed by the almost invisible hair he has on his chest, this is a Godsend! Use it twice and that hair will be visible to everyone!

(I won't get anymore graphic than this.)
4 valves
4 valves

Post by trseaman »

Last edited by trseaman on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Doc wrote:who is not allowed to say, "razor" anymore
How do you manage to walk that razor's edge? :shock:
Captain Sousie
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Captain Sousie »

windshieldbug wrote:
Doc wrote:who is not allowed to say, "razor" anymore
How do you manage to walk that razor's edge? :shock:
Why, by judicious application of Occam's Razor of course. 8)

Sou
I am not Mr. Holland, and you are not my opus!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Captain Sousie wrote:Why, by judicious application of Occam's Razor of course
I have it on good authority that Occam used an electric shaver. Oh, this is all just too complicated for me!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

tubatooter1940 wrote:You really believe those guys when they tell you blue and green are the same ?
Well....once again I asked my cubicle-mate (who is Vietnamese) if this same-word-blue-green was right, and he said that the glasses guy did not explain it well enough, that there were "words missing" in describing the colors. I didn't quite get what he was trying to tell me though. He also said there were words missing in the "Merry Christmas" translation. If I could get him on this board....he and LT could have some intellectual linguistic discussions, but he does not play tuba.

MA
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Doc wrote:I thought electricity came a LOT later, but what do I know?
Apparently, not much.
The earliest known artifacts that may have been batteries are the Baghdad Batteries, from some time between 250 BC and 640 AD.
attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham
But, what're a couple a thousand years among friends?

:P