Exercise: Are You a Fat and Out-of-Shape Musician?!

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Exercise: Are You a Fat and Out-of-Shape Musician?!

Post by Mudman »

Has anybody here tried the Body For Life exercise program?

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

I find that during the school year I'm too busy to take care of myself. Free time is squandered responding to inflamitory posts on TubeNet. (Damn you TubeNet!) The occasional adult beverage is always welcome. This summer I looked at myself and realised that I could let myself get more out of shape (surely risking eventual heart disease), or do something healthy for a change!

I borrowed the book from a friend and watched the free online exercise videos to get started. I think the book is available for under $20.

I'm into the second week of the Body For Life regimen and already notice a positive change in my energy level. (I'm also walking around with sore muscles that I didn't know existed.) I haven't bought into the idea of taking suplements as is recommended in the program. For now I'm focusing on the exercise and trying not to eat junk. Hopefully I can carry this routine through the school year.

What I like about the routine is that it alternates one day of weightlifting(about an hour of work) with a day of aerobic activity (20 minutes). The seventh day is a free day.

Just curious to hear about your exercise routines. For those of you in the military, are you required to work out in a group, or can you exercise on your own as long as you meet fitness requirements? (Wishing I had an NCO breathing down my neck making me get my *** in gear.)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Exercise: Are You a Fat and Out-of-Shape Musician?!

Post by Leland »

Mudman wrote: For those of you in the military, are you required to work out in a group, or can you exercise on your own as long as you meet fitness requirements?
Both, really. Exercising on your own is definitely encouraged, especially when your unit's schedule doesn't allow for very much group physical training (PT). It's more fun playing basketball, going for a run, or doing a circuit course as a group, though.
(Wishing I had an NCO breathing down my neck making me get my *** in gear.)
I know some games. We can play some games. :D Ever play "roller coaster", where you sit on the verrrry edge of a bench, hold your legs up and arms in the air, lean back, and act like you're going through turns, loops, stuff like that? Or how about "Godzillas", where you lay face down in the sand, wave your arms so you make a big pile of sand, and then when told to do so, jump to your feet and kick down the pile while roaring like a 100-foot monster.

Oh, do we know games....
(looking for a drill instructor smiley)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

HEY SEAN!

Can we have something to block only that Elvis picture?

Pleeeeeeez?
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

cc_tuba_guy wrote:NOT AGAIN?!?!?!?! I'm going to go run head first into an anvil...
If it stuck you'd have gained weight, though...

:roll:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Mudman wrote: What I like about the routine is that it alternates one day of weightlifting(about an hour of work) with a day of aerobic activity (20 minutes). The seventh day is a free day.

Just curious to hear about your exercise routines. For those of you in the military, are you required to work out in a group, or can you exercise on your own as long as you meet fitness requirements? (Wishing I had an NCO breathing down my neck making me get my *** in gear.)
When I was buried in computers as a profession I gained 30lbs. Took me about 6 months to loose the weight by going to the gym 4 days a week, weighing myself at least once per day, and paying attention to not eat junk food. At the gym I would always start with 30 minutes of aerobic work on either a bicycle or stairmaster and then do upper body or lower body. Mon/Thu upper. Tue/Fri lower. Upper body might take over an hour. Lower maybe 45 minutes. This time did not include the aerobic work.

The most important part, IMO, is to become highly motivated. No program will work otherwise. My motivation was getting tired of carpal tunnel, cubicles, and not making music. I knew that I wanted a military band job in DC. I also knew that I was too fat to be accepted into the military.

My main motivation now is to keep my job. Secondary motivation is pride and health. I feel better when I stay within 5lbs of where I am now. Weighing myself several times/day keeps it on the top of my mind. Otherwise I could easily put on 5lbs without realizing it.
sean chisham
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Mudman wrote:Has anybody here tried the Body For Life exercise program?

http://www.bodyforlife.com/
)
Let me get this straight--you pay money to lose weight?

Eat less. If you need some conditioning, come on out here, and I'll introduce you to the Chuck(G) Conditioning Regimen(tm) for no charge at all--and you'll get your very own personal trainer for free!

The Chuck(G) Conditioning Regimen(tm) consists of cutting and splitting firewood, clearing brush and digging ditches. The Chuck(G) Extreme Conditioning Course(tm) involves lending you to a neighbor to set chokers.

Guaranteed to burn those fat calories right off while actually increasing your muscle mass!

"Pay to exercise" makes me wonder what the human race has come to...
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mudman »

lol

Can't you get arrested for choking your neigbour? Or did I misread the extreme portion of the Chuck(G) Conditioning Regimen(tm). :)

Buying a cheap book on exercise doesn't fall into my category of "paying to exercise." The weights or gym membership do cost a bit, but not everybody lives on the wild frontier ;) Sometimes I let my grass grow enough to get a good workout cutting it . . .

At first glance, The Body For Life webpage does come across like one of those infomercials that sell cheap junk for "only 37 payments of $3206.99." However, the book seems to contain some good motivational information along with a detailed routine for novices to weightlifting. Borrowed me th' book, an I ain't paid nuthin, 'cept fer already ownin' some weights.

Now if I hired Denise Austin for some personal training, that would be another matter altogether :twisted: