Update Update

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Update Update

Post by bort »

bearphonium wrote:...trip to Germany...
What cities/regions? Do anything tuba related while you were there? I *love* going to Germany, and get all worked up just thinking about it. :oops:
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Curmudgeon wrote: Maybe that was more "stupid gripes" than "Update Update." :tuba:
Seems to me that "stupid gripes" would fit in "Update Update," anytime. Then again, maybe not. Update Update was intended to be about meaningless things. I'M SO CONFUSED!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

bort wrote:
bearphonium wrote:...trip to Germany...
What cities/regions? Do anything tuba related while you were there? I *love* going to Germany, and get all worked up just thinking about it. :oops:
Alas, it was a family sightseeing visit, and no tuba activities were found. I did hear some lovely chamber music outside a museum in Fussen, and went to a museum with quite a musical history piece, but no tuba. This was as close as I got:
Lumix Fussen 201 (480x640).jpg
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Great story about giving a two legged Chihuahua mobility and a life via a 3D Printed Wheelchair. Nice example of the customization 3D printing offers.
TurboRoo is an adorable 6 month old chihuahua from Indianapolis, Indiana who just wants to play and run around like any other puppy. But Roo was born without his two front legs, and even a trained breeder found his needs to much too handle, so at just a month old he was adopted by a tech at a veterinarian’s office in the city. Eager to give the little dog wheels, the tech Ashley Looper, set up a fundraising campaign hoping for even the smallest donations. And the response she got was nothing short of remarkable.

Word reached Mark Deadrick, president of 3d printing company 3dyn, who designed this specialized 3d printed wheelchair just for Roo. The small cart is outfitted with a custom harness and can switch between two to four skateboard wheels which allow him to explore to his little heart’s content. But the story gets even better! Now that he’s able to move around freely, Ashley is training TurboRoo to be a service/educator dog so that he can inspire children with similar disabilities. He’ll surely be putting a much needed smile on many children’s faces from here on out. And if you’d like to see just how far he’s come, watch the video of TurboRoo before he got his wheelchair at the end of this page.
http://www.cubebreaker.com/chihuahua-3d ... heelchair/

You have been updated on TurboRoo! 8)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Can I get that 'doggie thing' in silver?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Very cool!!
Mark
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jose the tuba player »

My asshole landlord got arrested! Karma is a bitch
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/news/t ... 2709.story" target="_blank
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:movie title:

- Dumbest and Dumbestest

~ or ~

- The Jerks

...??

I think the title should be: 'Where's our new caddy Eric Cantor?' :mrgreen:
Mark
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

You guys have the right idea, though - let's have a really stupid political discussion in the Update Update thread!
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Wait a minute! I thought all political discussions were really stupid.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

tbn.al wrote:Wait a minute! I thought all political discussions were really stupid.

Update: Only if you disagree with them. Then you should discuss religion instead. :P
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

windshieldbug wrote:
Update: Only if you disagree with them. Then you should discuss religion instead. :P
+1 :lol:
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

...for the sake of efficiency and to preserve our dwindling supply electrons, :mrgreen: can we talk about the politics of religion?
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

Father Ted | An Ecumenical Matter: http://youtu.be/ptd_h0dF7NE" target="_blank
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

schlepporello wrote:
ppalan wrote:...for the sake of efficiency and to preserve our dwindling supply electrons, :mrgreen: can we talk about the politics of religion?
Pete
Oh please! I'm a Baptist, we wrote the book on politics in religion.
With a little research, I believe you'll find that isn't entirely accurate. Remember. It took a while for the Baptists to even exist. Other Christian denominations existed long before you guys. Baptists have merely taken the ball and run with it.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

schlepporello wrote:I'll be heading up to Anchorage, Alaska soon to terrorize all who live there.
Awesome! What are you going to see/do while you're there?

I've been kind of obsessed with going to Alaska recently. I've long missed my opportunity to go this summer, so it'll have to wait until next year. Have a great trip!
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

The Oregon Tuba Ensemble got to play at a Simpsons mural dedication in Springfield, Oregon yesterday. We had a blast!

Wait, that might have been a real update... Hmm.

I made two doctors appointments for last week. Both were cancelled since the doctors were out of town, and rescheduled for the second week of September, when I know have 3 days of appointments right in a row... YOU HAVE BEEN UPDATED
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

But who will keep us all in line while you are out there gallivantin' around? :D
Bearin' up!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

schlepporello wrote:He wanted to know how we were doing and how this part of Alaska was.

Well, how WAS it at 5:30 AM? :lol:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Nice explanation of black dog syndrome in the Toledo News. The update portion of this update:
the unexpected consequence of this "syndrome" is that her organization has the Cadillac of breeds: black labs and black lab mixes.
So be like Cruiseboating Schlep & go down to your local shelter and adopt a black Cadillac!

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/2614 ... pe=generic
"Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" hurts adoption chances

By: Casey Roman - email

Hard statistics on this issue are hard to come by, but anecdotally shelters say that black dogs are the last to be adopted and therefore, the first to be euthanized. (Source: WECT)
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting animal shelters.

The term refers to the propensity of would-be-adopters walking right past the black dogs in the kennels and instead opting for lighter colored or spotted breeds.

"There does seem to be a public perception that black dogs are aggressive or black dogs are associated with evil," said Lynn Chriswell, a volunteer at the Columbus County Animal Shelter.

Hard statistics on this issue are hard to come by, but anecdotally shelters say that black dogs are the last to be adopted and therefore, the first to be euthanized. Besides the aggressive stereotype, Chriswell says lighting has a lot to do with it.

"The budget isn't there to have tremendously wonderful lighting and so a black dog essentially disappears in his kennel," Chriswell said. "He's a black animal in a grey kennel without a light above to show how beautiful he really is."

Walk through the shelter with this in mind and you can see how the dark coats simply don't stand out next to their fair-haired brethren. In some corners, all you see is a big set of shiny teeth.

"They're grinning!" Chriswell exclaimed. "But that can be misconstrued as aggression."

Being hard to see means being hard to photograph and therefore, hard to advertise for adoption. The black pups sit in shelters patiently waiting for someone to take the time to take a closer look; Someone like Pat Hairston of Canines for Service.

"Drop the expectations," Hairston said. "There are so many wonderful dogs that are thrown away every single day."

More than half of Hairston's new recruits from shelters are black dogs – the ones who seem to be left behind.

For Hairston the unexpected consequence of this "syndrome" is that her organization has the Cadillac of breeds: black labs and black lab mixes.

Some of her dogs are now in training to help wounded soldiers get back on their feet.

"Ask the kennel worker if they can pull that dog out and take it to a room so you can meet it," Hairston recommended. "Because if it's in that grey shelter, you may not see its personality and the full potential of that dog."

The "syndrome" also applies to black cats.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.