Help Me Name My New Cat!

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Help Me Name My New Cat!

Post by TMurphy »

Thanks, Wade. The good news is that she is adjusting. She is still using her box (though she had an accident yesterday while we were at a wedding, she got herself in a corner of the room behind a chair, and couldn't get out...so the poor thing ended up pooping on the rug!), and she's eating like a horse (9 oz. of wet food today, for a six month old cat who only weighs about 5 lbs.). I think she's starting to adjust, we'll see in the coming weeks.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Well, by now you know that respiratory infections are very serious for cats, not simple like for humans.

I'm glad she has you because if she were still in the shelter she would have been put down. She will adjust to not being sighted if you don't move the furniture; if her nose and ears still work she can find her way around.

And yes, feral cats do understand that they are being cared for and are very grateful.

When I got my Pepper 17 years ago (and she is still going strong) she fit in the palm of my hand. First thing she did when I got her home was get in the garbage can! It took a while to get her on kitten food but then she ate an amazing amount; her sides were distended and she waddled after she ate. The vet said to feed her as much as she would eat. Even now she is a small cat at six pounds, but she still takes turns through the house at Warp 12 and does backflips on the couch when she's feeling frisky.

Cats...you either love them or you don't, and I love them.

MA
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

Want a musical name?
Hows about Boogie?
We pronounce it Guf Coast
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Sadly, no, her eyes are not healing. Last night, both of her eyes completely ruptured. She is 100% blind, with no chance of recovering any vision. The vet said her eyes could heal on their own, but it could take as long as a month, and she would be in considerable pain (she already is.) Instead, she is scheduled to have both eyes removed tomorrow morning.

We certainly did not want it to come to this, but unfortunately this is where we are now. The only upside to this is that after the surgery, she will finally be able to start getting better, and live a long, happy life with us.

Many people I know seem to feel that we should return the cat to the shelter, and get another. They don't get how we could be attached to her after only two weeks, but we are. We adore this little cat, and certinly, she deserves a chance to live a happy life. u
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Well, today was an eventful day. I brought Roxy to the vet for surgery at 8:00 this morning. I then had to quickly make my way to work, because today we had our spring concerts (2 assemblies, one in the morning and one in the afternoon). We just went and picked her back up from the vet, and I am happy to report that she made it through surgery with no issues. She looks a little odd right now, with a shaven face and stitches where her eyes used to be, but hopefully she will be in far less pain than she was before the surgery, once the swelling goes down. She will be on antibiotics for about 10 days, as well as some pain medication. After her stiches come out, she'll finally be able to ditch the cone.

Oh yeah, the concerts went well...the kids did a great job.

Stressful day, to be sure! Thankfully, all has turned out well.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

We had a cat who went blind in her last years; she was able to do just about everything she had always done, including (once) catch a freakin' bird!

I am glad Roxy has you for an owner...
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
Brucom
bugler
bugler

Post by Brucom »

Tooter
B&S Sonora, 4 Rotary CC
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

How 'bout "killer".

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/cats-k ... d=18357853" target="_blank
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

We named out new cat 'Treble'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

tbn.al wrote:How 'bout "killer".

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/cats-k ... d=18357853" target="_blank" target="_blank
Our cats live strictly indoors, so they haven't killed anything...though I've gotten my share of scratches over the years.

Since you raised this thread from the dead, I'll let everyone know that more than 5 years later, Roxy is doing just fine. She's feisty and playful, but also the sweetest, most affectionate cat you'd ever want to meet. She greets me at the door when I come home, and will not leave me alone until I pick her up and pet her for a few minutes. She can't see, but it doesn't slow her down.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

I just realized that I raised the wrong cat thread from the dead. The naming Roxy thread wasn't at all the one that came to mind when I read the article. Sorry Roxy. My bad.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

tbn.al wrote:I just realized that I raised the wrong cat thread from the dead. The naming Roxy thread wasn't at all the one that came to mind when I read the article. Sorry Roxy. My bad.
Not to worry, this cat thread still has 7 lives left.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Sorry to raise a very old thread from the dead, but we've had Roxy for ten years now! She's doing great, and is as affectionate and loving as ever. When we moved to our current house two and a half years ago, Roxy, after living in our apartment for most of her life, took about 15 minutes to map out and adjust to the new place. Just amazing.
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Was trying to post one earlier, but it was too big to attach...I was on my prep at work, didn’t have much time to figure it out. So instead of getting a pic that’s about a month old, you get one that was taken about two minutes ago!

TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

the elephant wrote:It is so cool that you guys were able to take in and care for this disabled animal. Most people just want a kitten. Adult cats end up getting euthanized. And animals with physical issues almost never find a home. Thank you for taking care of this little girl. Great job. If we ever meet in real life I will be buying you supper somewhere.
Spend five minutes with her, and you’ll never call her disabled again! :p

She has a ton of personality, and pretty much anyone who meets her loves her...even people who claim to hate cats! She sleeps in bed with my wife and I every night (the wife being the girlfriend mentioned in the ten-year-old OP), usually starting on my back, and ended up nuzzled between our heads. She had a rough go of it at the start, but the last ten years for her have been pretty stress free and happy.

Wade, if you ever find yourself in the NYC area, give a shout. A meal, or even just a beer or two, would be a treat.
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

Being a jazz fan, I always thought the name Thelonious was really cool. So that was my cat's name for 10 years. So when we got a dog, we named him Monk.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Mine seem to morph into names....I call them various things and one of them sticks. Right now I have Puddy Tat and Tootsie. Puddy Tat an adult from the shelter who was sent out to foster (me) because she shut down in a cage; went limp and refused to respond, eat, or drink. She was a handful.....I was bitten 20 times a day for a while. But knowing her fate if I gave her back, she became what is called a "foster failure" meaning the foster failed to return the animal. And now only bites those who think they can just walk up and get in her face and pat her. Tootsie is also a foster failure but was fostered and then raised by me.....so she has no abuse or abandonment background, and is about the sweetest cat I've ever encountered. I'd post pictures but have never figured out how. If i click on "img" it just puts "" in there and I give up.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

My wife and I have had many cats over the years. Some of the names we gave them included Daisy, Petunia, Helena and Aethena (twins), Tiffany, Cleo, Dummy, Fang, Missy, Sh-tty, Angel, and on and on.

Ace
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

This thread actually made me shed a few tears. I wish Roxy and her family all the best.

My sister's last pet was a nearly-blind, morbidly obese female Ragdoll from a shelter.
She was the best kitty, ever.