learning trumpet.

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

learning trumpet.

Post by dopey »

How did you do it?

I am to the point where I can read trumpet pretty fluently which ofcourse comes in handy at times when im reading trumpet and playing tuba however.. my lips are far behind my mind when it comes to playing. My chops just aren't there.

I have a old holton collegiate cornet, which I think is a fine lil horn from what my limited knowledge is, atleast good enough for my needs. I am playing on a Shilke Model B, which is just what it had when I got the trumpet.

My question is what do you other tuba players play on, more so the mouthpiece? and any suggestions. I know im not gonna have a huge range over night and I dont' practice it as much as I do tuba in fear that I may hinder my tuba chops if I do. I would however like to be able to have enough chops to play trumpet in our second concert band at our highschool since we must play another instrument to be in it, and well since we have enuf baritones for both bands that leaves me with either getting better at trumpet or pulling the old alto which has been gathering dust for a good time now. I'd rather learn trumpet.

also any reasons NOT to learn trumpet? I do not plan to cut back on my tuba practice in anyway, just this on the 'side'

as always thanks for the help,

Jacob
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

never thought about tbone, even tho my sister plays it..

i couldnt' tell if you were talking about having 2 concert bands, or not letting you play same instrument in both.

We normally just have one large concert band that goes to contest, this year we are having around a 60piece band as well as a 2nd band. First band will be made by auditions. Both bands will goto contest and both bands will play concerts. Just 2 different bands.

You don't HAVE to play in both bands, just if you want to, due to rules of the contest you cant' play tuba in both bands, you have to pick a different instrument.

I hope that clears that up. I was going to do euphonium, but by the looks of it our current euphoniums would be 2nd band material :roll: so im not sure who will be playing it in first band and even so I know several first band trumpets have already said they'd do baritone.

but anyway back to trumpet, like I said i've dabbled with it for a while. Never playing it for extremely long periods maybe 20-30 minutes a time off and on just goofing around. Usually playing(well attempting) my little sisters music or other things I know on tuba. just for fun. I just thought i'd see about extending this to actually being well enough to play in a concert band.

Also, even in these concert bands I Wont' be playing THAT long, both bands meet at the same time in the mornings. Which means I will be playing with my first band every day, and only playing with my other band once or twice a week(they will have different afterschool practice days). Make sense? But either way thats why I posted to get info, can anyone else give a opinion on why to or why not to play trumpet if your a tuba player?

meanwhile I may dig up my sisters ol trombone and try to learn slide positions..I know the conversion from fingerings to slides, just not very quick to getting it to the various spots:P
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: learning trumpet.

Post by Dan Schultz »

Jacob Morgan wrote:How did you do it?

I am to the point where I can read trumpet pretty fluently which ofcourse comes in handy at times when im reading trumpet and playing tuba however.. my lips are far behind my mind when it comes to playing. My chops just aren't there. Jacob
It is always more of a problem for me to get my chops to match the fingerings than getting to know the fingerings. One advantage you will gain... asuming you now play BBb tuba... once you engrave the trumpet fingerings into your brain, it will be simple matter to learn Eb tuba (bass clef) fingerings... at least it was for me! And another plus... once you are fluent with the trumpet fingerings, you can migrate to brass bands and play any treble clef part without a lot of retraining.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Ames0325
bugler
bugler

Post by Ames0325 »

I have a friend who switched between baritone and trumpet all the time, but she was only average( or slightly below) on both due to A) her lack of practice ( so not really an issue with you) and B) she had NO upper range on trumpet and NO lower range on baritone.
I played trombone in HS jazz band--I wasn't the greatest player but I was alright and I was the only one in the section who could belt the pedal Bbs we were supposed to play. trombone is probably going to be less detrimental to your chops though it'll still be an adjustment.

Amy
Ames0325
bugler
bugler

Post by Ames0325 »

I have a friend who switched between baritone and trumpet all the time, but she was only average( or slightly below) on both due to A) her lack of practice ( so not really an issue with you) and B) she had NO upper range on trumpet and NO lower range on baritone.
I played trombone in HS jazz band--I wasn't the greatest player but I was alright and I was the only one in the section who could belt the pedal Bbs we were supposed to play. trombone is probably going to be less detrimental to your chops though it'll still be an adjustment.

Amy
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

learning trumpet.

Post by TubaRay »

I would second the opinion that playing very much trumpet is not helpful if you are serious about playing tuba. I am a part-time professional tuba player and a full-time school band director. If often demonstrate things for student on trumpet(flute, clar., sax, etc.). On occasions I play along with the band on trumpet. I don't like the effect this has on my tuba chops, so I am careful about the amount of time I spend on trumpet. I am especially careful about this when I know I have an important tuba gig coming up later that day.

By the way, learning the fingerings isn't difficult, and the basics are mostly the same on trumpet, baritone, and tuba. I have a very good command of the instrument up to the top of the staff G, and can play up to a high C when I need it. I believe I could learn to be a good trumpet player if I was willing to give up tuba. I am not willing, however. If you apply the basics of good brass playing, you can learn trumpet pretty easily. Getting the fluency of slide technique on trombone is quite a different challenge, altogether.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

Thanks for the opinions, Im still exploring both options (trumpet and trombone)

either way any suggestions on mouthpieces for either? I think ima drag my sisters trombone to church practice wedsnday(only brass player in it) and try it there. People have been complaining they cant' hear me well and since im the only thing there that doesnt' haev a mic on it and turned all the way up. Maybe if I play trombone i'll be able to cut thru it easier since its a higher instrument.

that and the fact I just pretty much play whole notes (root of the chords we play) so this would give me a good chance to play some simple stuff on trombone. I can look at a G and go, 4th position, however I can't play extremely fast or quick. I think playing it in church band a little bit may be quite beneficial to me learning to move it a lil quicker. As well allow the audience to hear me easier (hopefully).

I can always pull the tuba out on some songs that I feel like doing more then whole notes with.

Thanks for the info guys,

Jacob
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

Euphonium is not a option. I wish it were as im most likely a better player then our current euphoniums, but that isnt' saying much.

I can see trumpet having a few advantages. One being able to reead treble clef for brass band, and another kind of odd one. If you can read trumpet flute (F = 1 F# = 2 etc etc) then when you switch from Bb to C tuba you will already know the fingerings if you merely associate note names.. Make sense? I've heard this isnt' a great idea cuz you'll have the wrong idea of a pitch. Though, I plan on using it when I switch to CC since I can read treble already.

We actually dont' have a bass trombone, or a bass trombone player. My sister has a old "olds" Bass trombone, or so it was called one but according to people we've talked ot a Bass trombone back tthhheeen is a regular trombone now?
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Jacob Morgan wrote:I can see trumpet having a few advantages. One being able to reead treble clef for brass band,
Then again there's plenty of TC baritone/euphonium parts. Most I've seen are written an octave higher than they sound to match trumpet music.

We actually dont' have a bass trombone, or a bass trombone player. My sister has a old "olds" Bass trombone, or so it was called one but according to people we've talked ot a Bass trombone back tthhheeen is a regular trombone now?
I doubt that. But measure the bore and length to be sure. The mouthpiece is the quick test, since most bass bones have a larger shank.

As to mouthpieces, ask the beginning band (6th grade or so) instructor for advice. I'm thinking a 7C for trumpet. For tennor bone, a 6 1/2 AL or 12C (will help on the upper range some) would be good. For bass bone, probably a 6 1/2 AL with the proper shank.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

looks like ima just do trombone in the 2nd band:D I played trumpet at our jr high game with the lil kids... my tone is somewhat lacking to say the least.

Trombone on the other hand, I think I have a fairly good tone and i've been working on the slide. I know where to move the slide, its just getting it there and back quick enuf that I have problems with:D
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

I believe they were more so saying if I made playing trumpet a regular habbit and putting alot of time on it.

Music teachers 'learn' all instruments I believe, or atleast in their family (brass or wind or percussion). So yes he can play them all, this and the fact once you learn one instrument its 'easy' to learn others given time.

My director is a t-bone player but he can 'play' all the instruments I believe, however he doesnt' play trumpet as much as our trumpets play or clarinet as much as our clarinets.. etc etc. This is the point they are making(I think) that if one plays tuba and plays trumpet as much you may experience problems.

on a side note, I don't think woodwinds would have any real affect on brass players.

Back to the topic, I will either play trombone or baritone (turns out we only have 1 in the second band will need another). I think either of this will do nothing but improve my chops and general music abilities.
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

playing tuba and trumpet

Post by tubatooter1940 »

I played trumpet and a Besson valve bone for many years.At first the
trombone was very difficult but after some months became second nature
to me. After a fire in the bar burned up my valve bone I found a Conn
B-flat slide horn in a hock shop.It was only a matter of weeks until I was
in love with that slide bone.I find a trumpet-trombone double to be practical,and a tuba-trombone combination is also doable(or euphonium).
But a trumpet-tuba double is a bit too much.The muscles in the lip are not
going to give you any high range on trumpet(high "C"if you're lucky) and
permit you to bottom out easily on tuba.
I play tuba in a trio and a little trumpet solo once in a while adds a lot. However I dare not warm up on trumpet .I just pick it up and play my first notes low and hope the high notes to follow(if any)will be there when
I go for 'em.I try to talk the lead singer into playing trumpet and just leave me on tuba because blowing trumpet with a tuba lip can lead to
some major stinkers being blown.
Dennis Gray