How to start playing the tuba?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

How to start playing the tuba?

Post by aaronliu »

I would like to play the tuba. I would like to rent an instrument that I like, to start on. I play the trombone. I am an adult.

I would like to ask for recommendations of business from which to rent a tuba.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by aaronliu on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Re: How to start playing the tuba?

Post by aaronliu »

Here is more information. I just did some reading.

I think that I should try to rent an instrument with the qualities that are important to me:

--Probably a CC tuba. I play mostly instruments in C, and my sense of pitch needs that. I recognize pitches.
--Would like to play in wind band. So four valves would seem important. Would like 5 valves if affordable to rent.
--Would probably start on a pretty deep mouthpiece with a relatively thin rim. I like a dark, complex, resonant sound, and that is how I sound on the trombone.

I am pretty serious about this. I need to find an instrument that I can play in groups. I really enjoyed playing tuba, the time I tried it. I played in a brass quintet for an Easter service. That tuba had 3 valves. My trombone has an F attachment. It's important to me to have full notes and accurate intonation in the low register.

I am not sure if I can get good enough to play in community orchestras, but I would like to try. I would like to play chamber music and wind band music.

I was not planning to study with a teacher, but I would do it for a little while if it would help me find a good instrument to begin on. I can only take lessons on weekends because of work.

The main challenge I see is that instruments with the characteristics I am looking for will be expensive to rent and hard to find. So I will probably need to start with an instrument that has only the most important qualities.

Important qualities:
key of C
at least 4 valves
beautiful tone
pretty good fit for me

Desirable qualities:
5 valves

Thanks again to everyone who reads this.

I think it will be hard to find a tuba, but once I play it, I will probably know right away if it's a good fit.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I don't know what part of The World you live in but I question why you think you need to find a CC tuba because you play C instruments. The trombone is not a C instrument. The fundamental pitch of a trombone is Bb. If you are reading bass clef your music is written in concert pitch or as some consider C.

In all honesty... try all tubas and see which one you prefer.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thanks, Dan, How do I do that? Would be nice to narrow it down because I don't have a lot of time to look around. I live near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I agree with you about the pitch. The C tuba may sound better in the key of C for example...on the trombone I wished that C would not be in 6th position, which is hard to reach.

In wind bands, B flat and other keys with flats are common. In orchestras, keys with sharps are more common. That could be a factor.

I think the tone color would be different on a C tuba. What do people think?

But, B flat could be fine. Wouldn't it be longer than a C tuba, or a little fatter, or both?
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

to "bloke,"

Yes, I understand. It would be a matter of which valve combinations I would be using. They'd be different between Bflat and C tubas.

I learned the combinations of the B flat instruments (e.g. euphonium, trumpet in B blat) but I could learn them over for an instrument with fundamental frequency of C.

It might come down to availability, but I would rather make an intelligent choice about it.

Because of how I recognize pitches, I have to read music that I don't have to transpose. It has to be written in the key of C if it's played in the key of C.

For example, if I were playing a B flat trumpet, and the note written is a C, the actual note played is concert B flat.

I can't tolerate that because I know that the note is a B flat, and to see it written as a C will throw me off. I would then have to transpose on the fly, and that's too much mental work.

If I am playing in an orchestra and the conductor is talking about notes, I need to have the same notes on my page as the concert key.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thanks, bloke.

I read some stuff on Wikipedia and this is what I've come up with.

The C tuba is shorter than the B flat tuba.

This means that it will be lighter, which is a plus for me.

I see from posts that C tubas are less common.

I understand what you said: that both CC and B flat tuba will have bass cleff sheet music that refers to a C as a C. That is good. I have a B flat tenor saxophone, and I can't read the music for that at all, because it IS transposing. So with tuba there isn't that problem.

I will have a problem reading music that is written in treble cleff for tuba, right? That's because the treble cleff sheet music is transposing. I will just have to write it over in bass cleff in C on my own time. Not a big deal.

I still think that the valve combinations will be different for CC tuba and B flat tuba. I don't want to learn them both.

I think that I would like a CC tuba better because: it's lighter, and the tone color won't be quite as heavy. I'm a small guy and the weight of an instrument matters a lot to me.

I can see that B flat tubas will be louder. I read that they are used more commonly in orchestras in eastern and western Europe, for example. I bet the sound is more stentorian--I think of British music and the British brass bands.

I would like to find a CC tuba because they're more common in orchestral settings in America, but I may never play in one. I just think it's personal preference for the sound and what the fundamental frequency is. I might not have that much choice because I might not be able to find a CC tuba to rent and learn on, that's nearly professional quality.

I appreciate everyone's input. It means a lot to me. I feel clear about the differences between C and B flat tubas now. Now, to find one.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thanks, Curmudgeon.

I know about the correspondence of the fingerings with the slide positions. I wonder what a C trombone would be like. First position would be a C.

I think you're right.

I looked at the prices. They are very hefty.

I hope that eventually I can get one with a 5th valve. The CC tubas definitely are less massive than the B flat ones.

I'll just learn the fingerings over again.

No point in getting extra tubing and extra weight.

Now, if anyone can point me to where to find a tuba, that would be great. I am renting, not buying for at least a couple of years, given that the prices are several thousand dollars.

Looking for: CC tuba to rent for up to a couple of years. 4 valves preferred over 3. I will settle for what I can get and make a decision about looking for a horn that fits me later. Goal is just to play right now. If I don't like it I can rent a different one. I see that there are places to rent a tuba on line, but I would rather go through word of mouth from tuba players. I would love to rent a tuba from someone--I would guarantee that I would pay for any damage that occurred, or buy the tuba outright if it got damaged. Anyone want to rent out a spare tuba? I am very dependable. I will make it worth your while.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thought about using a plastic tuba. It should be cheaper and a lot lighter. I have a plastic trombone and I really like playing it. I'll look on the internet for plastic tubas.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

You are a few hours' driving distance from Dillon Music in Woodbridge, NJ:
http://www.dillonmusic.com/" target="_blank

The shop is also walking distance from a NJ Transit station.

They sell new (including their own line) and used tubas and is as good a place as any to begin your search.

If you already play trombone and know bass clef euphonium fingerings, you are 90% of the way toward learning BBb tuba fingerings. Playing trombone/euphonium parts down an octave will also be a snap. I made the permanent switch from euphonium to BBb last spring and was playing well enough (up to my standards) for my community band in a few weeks.

You can buy any number of good, used starter BBb tubas for $1000 or less (sometimes far less).

If you have you heart set on learning fingerings for a tuba of different fundamental pitch, it's just a matter of time and practice. It will take a few days to become proficient with the new valve combinations (scales and etudes will be a big help) and then the rest of your life to master. :)

I don't think that one can make generations re: BBb vs. CC as far as tone, loudness and instrument weight are concerned. Horns of each type come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes; tone characteristics etc.
Last edited by bighonkintuba on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Bighonkintuba, I will go to Dillons and start looking. I'll keep an open mind.

It's true it would be less work to use a B flat tuba but I gotta take my body into consideration. Every pound counts.

Why play the tuba? It's a lovely instrument that I just realized fits me in many ways. But I do want to save my back.

I'll update on what I find. I hope Dillon's is open on Saturdays. I'll try to go next Saturday.

In the meantime, I will listen to recordings of both B flat and C tubas and see how I like them.

I love Carol Jantsch's playing. Not sure I spelled it right, but she has a gorgeous sound. (Principal tubist Philadelphia Orchestra)
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

Dillon is open on Saturdays from 10:00am to 3:00pm. Ask me how I know...

Their used inventory posted online is a little sparse at the moment, so you might check again during the week or call to see what else might in stock. They also market a JinBao CC tuba that receives good reviews re: intonation, a beefy Yamaha 641 BBb clone and a few other smaller BBb horns. There is a smaller, used Dillon BBb listed now for $1300 (I don't know anything about it, but noticed it during my weekly peek).

http://www.dillonmusic.com/c-1013-tubas.aspx" target="_blank
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Thank you.

I just saw this on You Tube - plastic tuba. Sounds nice...let me see how much it is. I love the light weight...I could carry it easily:

Chinese guy playing plastic tuba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mrtEsQYDJs" target="_blank

I will check out the web site. Thank you!
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Looks like pistons are more desirable, for me. The rotary valve mechanism looks like it would be awkward for me to use. I see players with straight fingers. Doesn't look very efficient. With pistons you'd be able to get your wrist higher and get more leverage, like on the piano. I bet the pistons are faster to push down. With the valves the force you have to use varies with the position your finger is at. The further in, the harder you have to push to get the lever to depress. So you have to have very precise finger position.

That thumb hook they use for the rotary valves looks like it would be very uncomfortable for me. It takes my leverage away. Just observations...thinking out loud...

I like the sound of the plastic tuba, in the right hands. I've looked at a couple of videos on YouTube by different players. Less resonant, but that doesn't matter to me right now. I feel it would force me to pay attention to the core of my sound. The plastic trombone does that for me. To save money and many pounds of weight is well worth it to me. I am going to think about this seriously as my only tuba if it's affordable (say under 6 to 8 hundred dollars). If it's affordable I will probably just buy one and be done with it, until I develop enough to buy a real metal tuba. I hope these plastic ones come with pistons. There is one brand, Tiger, that I see, but I think it's rotary valve.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

bighonkintuba, thanks for all your input. All of it was very helpful.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

I play both rotary and piston valve horns and they are the same to me in terms of efficiency and leverage. I'm not particularly fond of the top piston valve arm/hand position, but front action instruments are interchangeable (rotary or piston). Same speed. Nothing forced in either case.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Got it, will look at both. How do you know Dillon is open Saturdays? ;) Hey if you want to meet there sometime I'll buy you lunch. No pressure, but if we're there the same time, would like to take you out.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

bloke, got it. So there will be a bad note on the CC tuba, the F natural, unless there is a 5th valve. Then it seems that B flat is the logical choice! The B flat tubas are more common, also.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

N.P. I've spent my share of Saturdays at Dillon over the years. The last time, there was a line of people waiting at 10:00am. It's nice to see a local brick and mortar(!) brass shop that's busy. Matt Walters (tuba guru) is also a great guy to deal with.
aaronliu wrote:Got it, will look at both. How do you know Dillon is open Saturdays? ;) Hey if you want to meet there sometime I'll buy you lunch. No pressure, but if we're there the same time, would like to take you out.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

If you are concerned with weight and ergonomics for a smaller guy, then you might seriously consider looking at Eb tubas. They are generally lighter and cheaper than their BBb or CC cousin and the bigger Eb's will easily produce all the sound you will likely ever need unless you are the sole tuba in a 60-piece band. Dillons and Baltimore Brass are about the same distance from us in the Philly area and both are superb to deal with.I also suggest a tuba playing stand to help with balancing and weight issues for your back. Baltimore Brass sells perhaps the best playing stand on the market, too. 8)
Bearin' up!
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

aaronliu wrote:Thought about using a plastic tuba. It should be cheaper and a lot lighter. I have a plastic trombone and I really like playing it. I'll look on the internet for plastic tubas.
"Brian Kane...Brian Kane... Please come to the white customer service phone.... Brian Kane... Brian Kane... Please come to the white customer service phone... Thank you..."