A thread for bad ideas...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: A thread for bad ideas...

Post by iiipopes »

TheTuba wrote:How about the Tsar Bomba, the hydrogen bomb that makes Fat Man look like a ant? :shock:
Depends on how large you can get Rudy Meinl to build you a tuba. Try their 6/4+ 22-inch bell BBb:
http://www.rudolf-meinl.de/index.php?id=4580" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

iiipopes wrote:
TheTuba wrote:How about the Tsar Bomba, the hydrogen bomb that makes Fat Man look like a ant? :shock:
Depends on how large you can get Rudy Meinl to build you a tuba. Try their 6/4+ 22-inch bell BBb:
http://www.rudolf-meinl.de/index.php?id=4580" target="_blank" target="_blank
How much does it cost?
The"think he found his dream tuba"Tuba
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Real elephants in an elephant room?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

bloke wrote:3+1 compensating F tubas
Does that mean holding +1 down and playing it as a C tuba is also a bad idea?
Thanks for playing!
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

A cimbasso BBS...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Post by KingBassTrombone »

A 5-valve compensating system. I designed one last year for use on tenor tubas and large euphoniums. So, you've got 4 valves tuned to what you expect, not compensated with each other. The 5th valve is tuned the same as the 4th, but bored larger and compensated through the other 4 valves. The result would be a 5-valve Bb euph that can turn into a small 4-valve F tuba. I also contemplated designing a second set of valve slides that would allow the 5th valve to be tuned to a fifth instead of a fourth, yielding a small 4-valve Eb tuba. A valve lock could make life easier if you need to use baby-tuba-mode for a long while.

Then I realized...
  • -euphonium parts very rarely go low enough to need such a system, and if it does, 4 valves do the job just fine
    -the extra tubing and valve would make a very heavy instrument
    -the intonation and tone quality would suffer with the 5th valve in use
    -there's already a euphonium that can do tuba stuff too... the French Tuba in C
Put this 5-valve compensating system on your big old BBb or CC tuba, it'll act like a black hole... so heavy it has its own gravitational field, and it'll suck up all your air without much sound coming out the big end. BUT... theoretically speaking, a 5-valve compensating BBb would bottom out at G-1, an octave and a third below pedal BBBb... play one of those in a concert and the conductor (and everyone else, for that matter) might need new pants.
:tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

the elephant wrote:Loaning your car to this woman...

I wish I’d seen this an hour ago... :cry:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Three Valves wrote:
the elephant wrote:Loaning your car to this woman...

I wish I’d seen this an hour ago... :cry:

Just loan it to her left leg...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Post by emcallaway »

KingBassTrombone wrote:A 5-valve compensating system. I designed one last year for use on tenor tubas and large euphoniums. So, you've got 4 valves tuned to what you expect, not compensated with each other. The 5th valve is tuned the same as the 4th, but bored larger and compensated through the other 4 valves. The result would be a 5-valve Bb euph that can turn into a small 4-valve F tuba.
I have a Cerveny F tuba with a 5-valve compensating system that works very similar to what you're describing. It began life as a CC tuba with an ascending 5th valve that raised the pitch of the instrument to F...this was truly a bad design so I reversed the valve.

With its current configuration the 5th valve lowers the instrument a 4th and goes back through a 2nd set of slides to compensate the rest of the valves. The "CC side" has enough issues that I typically only use it when I'm in the basement where it makes the fingerings easy and the intonation very manageable. Certainly the design could use some refinement, but it's really not a terrible setup.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote:a GG sousaphone (same length as contrabass bugle, but shaped like a sousaphone) with two goosenecks - to play transcriptions of Paganini violin/guitar duets on one instrument

Winner, winner chicken dinner!
Last edited by windshieldbug on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

A fireman band using the pole.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I can't tell if it is progress, and i anticipate a relapse in the near future, but i think my apartment is free from a persistent infestation of sousaphones.
Thanks for playing!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

humBell wrote:I can't tell if it is progress, and i anticipate a relapse in the near future, but i think my apartment is free from a persistent infestation of sousaphones.
What a horror!
Q :mrgreen:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I am not so lucky. I have only been able to rid myself of about half of my souzy infestation. Fortunately, it seems to be rather self-contained at this point, although I never know when an outbreak will occur.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I still have a few helicons poking about. Particulalry on a papasan...
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Am thinking of letting a sousaphone back in, as i have parades this weekend, and feel it discourtious to leave it in the car the whole time.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Introduced a tuba playing friend to a double bell euphonium last night, and she came up with the following observation and gave me permission, encouragement even, to share it here:

She expects some new fangled composer to write something for the double bell, taking advantage of a seperate tuning slides for each bell to implement explicit microtonal differences between 'em.

Did i put it in the correct thread?
Thanks for playing!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

humBell wrote:Did i put it in the correct thread?

Microtonal trumpets have been built using the the same bell, and don't seem to have caught on for either performance or composition.

So yes, I'd say this is exactly the right place... :lol:
pete edwards
bugler
bugler

Post by pete edwards »

windshieldbug wrote:
humBell wrote:Did i put it in the correct thread?

Microtonal trumpets have been built using the the same bell, and don't seem to have caught on for either performance or composition.

So yes, I'd say this is exactly the right place... :lol:
microtonal trombones, however, are all the rage
pete edwards
bugler
bugler

Post by pete edwards »

is "inadvertent microtonalism" the same thing?