A thread for bad ideas...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Re: A thread for bad ideas...

Post by humBell »

Tubas in space?

Feels like a tag line for bad horror/sci fi.

No one can hear you solo.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Montana kinda big.
I once thought of a realy bad joke involving our lovely low brass and some pacific islands...
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Does anyone make facemasks you can whistle under?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Would email be more fun to read if it was yellow text scrolling up and away into a field of stars with John Williams music playing in the background?

I suppose it also be more fun if people wrote me about using the force to bring order and peace to the galaxy...
Thanks for playing!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Declare Juneteenth a holiday when you have never recognized MLK Day as a holiday!! :roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

What is Juneteenth?

I might be living under a rock...
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Thanks for lighting a candle rather than mocking my darkness, though i am quick to admit mockery sure has its place. Especially in a bad idea thread.

Admittedly, i'm just being lazy. I am sure google or duck duck go woulda told me if i had asked. I'm inexcusably lazy.
Thanks for playing!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:
humBell wrote:What is Juneteenth?

I might be living under a rock...
It's a day - in the year, 1865 - when a union general landed at coastal Texas at the end of the 1860's war and liberated slaves there.

Slaves in the USA (vs. CSA) states of Kentucky, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Maryland were not legally/Constitutionally free until the 13th Amendment was ratified much later that same year (1865), about eight months after Lincoln was killed. Whether-or-not individual slaveholders in those four USA states released their slaves prior to December, they were not legally required to do so (by the federal gov't) until that amendment was ratified.
Missouri is arguable.

The argument for the 13th Amendment controlling: south-sympathizing Governor Clairborne Fox Jackson and essentially the entire legislature moved from the capital Jefferson City to Neosho in the southwest corner of the state and tried to secede. The 12th and 13th stars in the Confederate battle banner were for the sympathetic governments of Missouri and Kentucky. Missouri briefly looked like it was going to go like Virginia did, but ended up not splitting. The folks left in Jefferson City declared the state offices abandoned and appointed a provisional government. Union forces and the provisional state government under appointed provisional governor Hamilton R. Gamble took everything back in stages after the battle of Pea Ridge, as the Confederate forces could not hold the territory, and only ever held a few counties in the southwest corner of Missouri.

The argument for Juneteenth controlling: after the Union forces took back the southwest counties, what was left of the Missouri sympathizing government fled to Texas, and may have been part of the target audience of the reading of the proclamation in Texas.

Even though it isn't talked about much anymore, I remember as a boy my Grandmother, who was in the legislature in the early '50's, talking about it, as there were some - a century later - who still believed Gov. Jackson remained the "real" governor and Gov. Gamble was not. In any event, in spite of Missouri's Ordinance of Secession, as with all other states which seceded, it became moot at the end of the war.

I agree that emancipation, as a practical matter, did not occur everywhere at the same time.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Thanks for the historical significance.

I guess i am also interested in its calendrific significance.

Am i wrong to think of it as the week after ides, give or take a day or two?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

How long until the next parade?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Made of real cinders?

I'll start up my incinerator,.

Getting in on the ground floor on this one.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Am i fired?

I guess i'll pack up my thing and look for a new job...

Sorry for being insensitive.

I got a new idea anyway, to protect you while you are strolling about after volcanic activity.

I'm not sure whether to call it an ember-ella or a cinder-ella.

Hoping to get Mary Poppins as a spokesperson.
Thanks for playing!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I just realized I have no friends without advanced degrees, that have actually worked for a living, or have ever been in the armed services.

I’m writing a book about Class Warfare. 8)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

My 97 F150 has no A/C, the passenger window won't roll down, and wasps have built a nest inside the drivers side mirror and keep returning to it, making it unwise to roll that window down either.

Good idea: gives me an excuse to use the motorcycle for more transportation duties. Also replaced the window regulator today and have sprayed everything under the sun inside the drivers mirror housing.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

An electric lawnmower in the rain...
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

MartyNeilan wrote:My 97 F150 has no A/C, the passenger window won't roll down, and wasps have built a nest inside the drivers side mirror and keep returning to it, making it unwise to roll that window down either.

Good idea: gives me an excuse to use the motorcycle for more transportation duties. Also replaced the window regulator today and have sprayed everything under the sun inside the drivers mirror housing.
Does the the window work?

And are the wasps defeated?

Or are there hair-raising stories of dexterity and balance as you moved things with a motorcycle more suitable to a flatbed?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Happy American Independence Day!

I'm not up on all the bad ideas that could entail, but i'm pretty sure there are some choice ones out there.
Thanks for playing!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Rule by law was a horrible, racist ideal!!

Worstest idea ever.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

If in and de are both negating prefixes, then couldn't we just call it pendence day? But i suppose that might get confused with penance day.

I assert my right to be indepedantic.
Thanks for playing!
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

humBell wrote:If in and de are both negating prefixes, then couldn't we just call it pendence day? But i suppose that might get confused with penance day.

I assert my right to be indepedantic.

8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?