Packing it in

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Packing it in

Post by MaryAnn »

Those of you who have packed it in, did you sell your instrument(s) or did you hang onto it (them) just because?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Packing it in

Post by windshieldbug »

Mark Finley wrote:I've known a few people that have stopped playing for one reason or another, and try usually hold onto something to play for fun, if the urge strikes

Exactly.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I'm a realist - the tuba is a large and heavy instrument; it takes a lot of energy to play and transport, and I understand that someday, the time could arrive that I'd have to hang it up.

When (or if) that day ever comes, I will likely sell most of my horns - - - - but my York 712 I got way back in college, it will go into the narrow house with me...... I just don't think I'll ever have the heart to part with it.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

I've mentioned my oboe mentor before, who studied at Julliard and Cal Arts, and performed with a big-name, big-city orchestra for several years. Frustrated by the difficulties of making a living as a symphony pro at the time, he packed it in 30 years ago to pursue an IT career. We had a chance to chat over lunch earlier this year, and when I asked about his Loreé, he said he sold it five years ago and hasn't looked back. The funny thing is after a 20-year gap he married his high school sweetheart, 2nd chair oboe to his 1st, and while both are talented neither does any music at all now. Shame.

When I can no longer play... and I had better be on my deathbed, or nearly so... my plan (already in writing) is to donate my instrument collection to the local college. I already loan my 191 to the department chair, also a tuba pro, while he decides on something to replace his worn-out horn.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

When I packed it in from playing in bar bands when I got married, I kept my instruments, playing occasionally with friends, in church, etc., to keep in shape. Then I lost my job and because I had kept in shape, I was able to get one good gig at a fall show in Branson that lasted long enough to tide me over to my next day job. And then my son got old enough that I could play other occasional gigs, and then a few years ago the band I used to be with called me and said their bass player died unexpectedly, and needed me back. And it has been great ever since. Without the hiatus to make sure I had raised my son properly, including "trading" (meaning time) a bass "axe" for a Scouting axe, etc. as a Scout Leader in his pack and troop for eight years, I don't think I would have appreciated coming back to playing as much as I have. And in the meantime, most of the places I play, which is actually more corporate, wedding, country club, and other similar gigs instead of typical bar gigs, are in venues subject to local municipal no smoking ordinances, so I can actually breathe at these gigs, as well!!!
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Thanks guys. I dunno if I'll ever have the strength to play again, and I'm moving cross country in a few months where the people who know me are not musicians, so I don't know what opportunities would surface should I get my strength back. The tuba is big and heavy (for me) BUT would be hard to replace, and ya'll know how I love that thing. There isn't (yet) any question in my mind about keeping the best of my smaller instruments but they are just damn easier to transport. It's whether to transport the tuba and try to keep it in a much smaller living space or not, and I'm going back and forth and back and forth until I'm dizzy! The only "have to get rid of it" bonus if I move it is that I'll be reasonably close to Baltimore Brass should I decide to sell it. Ebay is seeing a lot of my just-sitting-around stuff that I know I won't play again.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Music is a big part of your life.
Don't cut yourself from a part of you life that gives you satisfaction.
Free to tuba: good home
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Agreed but I don't get much satisfaction from looking at it.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

I've never packed it in for good. I took 3 years off of playing to get a law degree. I kept my horns during that time and I'm happy I did. They did just sit there and stare at me, but it was worth it. I also dragged them, in my car, across the continent twice, never questioning that (a) I wouldn't ship them; and (b) I would be taking them with me. A large part of my decision to drive rather than fly when I moved was for the tubas.

Recently I finally gave in to the fact that my playing will be significantly reduced and more sporadic for the foreseeable future. I sold my big horn (not because "it deserved to be played more," but because I wasn't able to keep in shape to make the sounds I wanted to make on it). I got a smaller tuba and have been really happy I did. When I do have time to play, it is a much more satisfying experience. And I play more (for the random 10 -15 minute chunks I can find) because I know it will be more satisfying.

Having played tuba for a majority of my life, it would be disheartening to know that I didn't have something within arm's reach to play when the feeling struck or the opportunity presented itself.

That's a long way of saying I've never been in a position where I wanted to divest myself of all of my tubas because "what-if." But the right answer for me and my situation may not be the right one for you and your situation.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

If I knew I'd never recover enough to play in an orchestra or brass band again, I probably would sell the NStar and down the line get something for my own pleasure like a Bombino. But I ain't quite there yet, and don't know when I will be. I was just queried a couple days ago about would I consider coming back to the orchestra and I had to say no, because I can't even carry it in from the parking lot. That is a real pisser.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

At age 60, I'm the youngest tuba player in the bands I've been playing with; in the main band the other tuba players are in their 70's and 80's, and they are good players. With a little bit of arthritis setting in to my wrists, I can see the day when a tuba smaller than my 345 is in the future, but (assuming I'm still around and kicking) I don't believe I'll ever pack it in completely. Something like a 186, or an Arion, or the Yamaha 621 should keep me happy in the nursing home. MaryAnn, if you're still kicking it around in 20 years let me know and I'll make an offer on your Norwegian Star :wink: .
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I don't think I'm going to make it to 89, but thanks for the offer. I don't have joint pain, I have non-recovery from an undiagnosable illness. At least I can still blow like hell and my oboe is getting a workout.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have 10 tubas and 1 euphonium that I have collected and repaired over the years. Over the last year I have found new homes for all but 4 tubas and replaced the double bell euphonuim with a British Baritone. All of these horns now get used. Some more than others. Each has a use now. I guess I'm in a very slow "pack it in" phase, (taking advice from Bloke that an instrument should not just collect dust). One of those horns is a Bubbie 5, for which I have a practice mute. When, or if, I end up in a retirement apartment, I will be able to handle that horn and be quiet enough to not get thrown out of the building. If I divest the other horns, I'll find deserving young players who will appreciate them.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5