Cousin's looking for a trumpet for her daughter

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Cousin's looking for a trumpet for her daughter

Post by Bob Kolada »

My cousin is looking to get her 8th grade daughter (a quiet, polite young lady who enjoys playing) a nicer trumpet than her current beginner student model. I don't know what she's playing now but given that it's a rental I'm not expecting much out of it.

I don't know anything about trumpets (and told her as much :mrgreen:) but suggested a used pro horn might be the best bet, with the current horn kept as a marching/pep band horn. Probably a relatively hard cap of $700, I plan on helping out to get her a good horn. She'd likely use this for concert band and jazz. I think a lighter horn would be a better fit for a younger player, sonically and physically, maybe a mid-lightweight symphonic trumpet...? Aren't trumpets categorized something like that? :D
I also suggested perhaps a year of private lessons on the current horn with an eye to upgrade after that.

Any suggestions?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Cousin's looking for a trumpet for her daughter

Post by iiipopes »

Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

Lots of good trumpets get donated to Goodwill. You can find amazing deals with reasonable shipping here if you are patient. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Listings?s ... Prefs=true" target="_blank
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

And there is even the local Craigslist....I've had a Getzen Capri cornet on the local Craigslist for quite a while now for $300, which I think it is totally worth, and hardly even a nibble. If you're in at least a moderately big city it would be worth a look.
And no one has mentioned Mack or Wessex yet....I would assume their trumpets, if you want a new shiny one, would be in line with their tubas, and below your budget.